Skip to content
Back to Blog

Writers on Earth Competition Winners Announced

Our Writers on Earth Competition, in solidarity with Earthshot Prize, encouraged young people across the world to write to their nation’s leader and express the importance of tackling environmental issues. Exploring topics from destructive quarrying to the impact of carbon emissions on our oceans, these winning letters serve as a reminder that forward-looking solutions are the key to preserving our natural world.

Read the winning pieces and peer reviews below, along with commentary from Guest Judge Dan Fagin.

image

WINNERS

Winner: hollow hills by joeD (Malaysia)

This letter-writer did an excellent job of appealing to a political leader on both an emotional and factual level. Both are essential in effective persuasive communication! Using vivid and personal language, joeD urges Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim to focus on what he sees when he drives through the countryside of the country he leads: scenes of sublime natural beauty interspaced with those of rampant destruction wrought by indiscriminate mining and large-scale agriculture. It’s a very effective beginning, and joeD follows up with a sound, fact-based argument against destructive limestone quarrying practices. They punctuate their argument by citing a recent deadly collapse at a quarry site. This is another smart choice by joeD because examples are critical tools in building any case for change. It’s also clear that they understand another key technique for effective persuasion: acknowledge alternative perspectives and look for ways to accommodate them. Even as they explain why mining techniques that rely on blasting hillsides are so damaging, they also acknowledge that economic development is important for Malaysia and present alternative ways to achieve it via ecotourism and subsurface mining. joeD then concludes, as they should, with a forward-looking, emotional appeal that seeks to inspire action from their country’s leader based on the prime minister’s own past achievements. You’ve made it to the top, they say, now lead us into a happier future in which all of us – and our children – can all enjoy the blessings of nature. Bravo, joeD!

Runner up: The Oceans and Us by Squishy! (US)

This letter-writer, too, has assembled a strong, fact-based argument that begins with an effective emotional appeal. Siyeon starts with a question to U.S. President Joe Biden, engaging him directly in her own feelings of dismay and confusion when, as a 10-year-old new to Louisiana, she first saw giant petroleum facilities in the midst of the spectacular gulf scenery. She recognizes what too few adults see: the ocean is not only a pretty place that harbors tremendous resources and biodiversity, it is also absolutely essential to regulating the planetary thermostat that makes life possible. If we keep overloading the atmosphere with carbon, the ocean won’t be able to keep up and all life will be threatened, including us. Siyeon then proposes steps that the United States can take to drastically reduce its emissions and redeem its reputation as a carbon rogue. She anticipates counterarguments by acknowledging that the Biden Administration has taken some major steps forward recently, but also explains that more needs to be done. The United States should be leading the way in cutting carbon, Siyeon concludes, and Louisiana – a state that depends on the sea even as it contributes disproportionately to its destruction – should be in the forefront of the transformation. I hope it happens!

Best Peer Review (selected by Write the World): Saviors, reviewed by Ninja girl (Australia)

Ninja girl’s review contains so much detailed feedback presented in a light, lovely, and encouraging way. Her suggestions for improvement are extremely helpful, in part because they’re so specific: pointing to paragraph 4, for instance, or specific things the writer might want to add to her letter. Ninja girl comments that she appreciated the writer’s positive and encouraging tone in the piece – Ninja girl achieved a similarly positive and encouraging tone in her peer review! The reviewer’s appreciation for the piece wraps around the whole review like a warm blanket, which, in my experience, is motivating for a writer approaching their next draft. Great job, Ninja girl!

FINALISTS

The Monster in Disguise: Single-Use Plastics by chloe__han (South Korea)

Hold our Dreams by sophie_simile (US)

Our Oceans in Peril by Annabelle1045___ (Australia)

PEER REVIEW FINALISTS

Garbage does not Belong in Oceans or on Beaches, reviewed by ~catix (Canada)

Nature Destroyers, reviewed by starling (US)

HIGHLY COMMENDED

Sunny Side Up by Isabelle_ (Hong Kong)

Letter To The Prime Minister by MickeyW



Share this post: