Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet the Writers on Earth Competition Winners

The winners of our Writers on Earth Competition wrote powerful letters to advocate for the preservation of our natural world, and supported their fellow writers with insightful peer reviews. “Nature surrounds us, and we often take it for granted,” says winner Joyce Wan. “And I wish to remind readers that if left unchecked, each loss in nature’s wonder will simply be normalised by every passing generation.”

Read on to learn more about the winners!

Q&A with Winner, Joyce Wan:

image

In your winning letter to Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim, you wrote about the destructive practice of quarrying. When did you first become aware of this issue, and why did you choose to write about it?

I’ve seen the effect of quarrying and had a surface-level awareness of it for years, but I didn’t really think about it. I asked my parents why the hills looked the way they did on one of our road trips when I was younger, though I don’t remember exactly when. What did stick with me was the sight of stripped hills. It’s such a normal sight yet representative of such damage, and this conflict drew me into exploring the topic.

Guest Judge Dan Fagin commended the way you “acknowledge alternative perspectives and look for ways to accommodate them” in your letter. How did you maintain an awareness of other viewpoints whilst staying focused on your argument?

I’ve grown up being taught that there’s always more than one side of the story, and this thinking must have seeped into my writing. I gather evidence and different views, building a foundation for my own opinion to fall into place naturally.

What would you like readers to take away from your piece?

If there’s one thing I wish readers will remember, it’d be this: we don’t have to leave the environment the way it is, and we can choose to dig out the problems that may be hidden below the surface. Nature surrounds us, and we often take it for granted. And I wish to remind readers that if left unchecked, each loss in nature’s wonder will simply be normalised by every passing generation.

Q&A with Peer Review Winner, Laura Wildsmith:

image

What first attracted you to the piece you reviewed?

I liked Julia’s tone and word choice throughout the piece. It was professional, kind, and encouraging. I loved how she used facts instead of purely opinions to get her message across…. I think if I was the president, I would want to listen to someone who was respectful, yet desperate for change. I think Julia achieved this tone.

Your winning review was praised for presenting feedback in a “light, lovely, and encouraging way.” How did you go about giving suggestions for improvement whilst remaining positive and motivating at all times?

I love the feeling of getting good feedback! People telling me that I have done a good job makes me feel so encouraged! But constructive feedback is also helpful in the way that sometimes you can do your very best, but someone else might look at it from another angle, and have ideas on how it could be even better. I loved Julia’s letter, and found her ideas and solutions really interesting, and I wanted to help her perfect it. I try and achieve a positive narrative. I try to sound kind and encouraging by looking for the positives of a piece first, and listing them. Then I look for things that have the potential to be even better, and give ideas on how they can be improved. Being specific helps too. It’s overwhelming if someone gives vague feedback regarding the whole piece, and I personally find it easier to focus on one specific detail at a time.

Do you have any writing goals or dreams for the new year?

I really don’t know where I want to go with my writing… I think I prefer nonfiction writing, and writing reviews, so I might focus on that for the next year. I know I love receiving thoughtful, well-written feedback, and I love giving encouragement to other writers.



Share this post: