Skip to content
Back to Blog

Speech Writing Ideas with Michael Franklin

This month’s Speech Writing Competition is well underway, dear writers, and we are already impressed by the powerful speeches that have been pouring in these past weeks! That’s why we’re excited to announce that, not only will Sarah Hurwitz share her wisdom as a former presidential speech writer as our Guest Judge, we are also welcoming Michael Franklin, a senior at Howard University and the co-founder of Speechwriters of Color, as our Guest Judge for Peer Review and Best Speech Delivery.

speech writing ideas

Below, Michael shares insight into his path as a student speech writer and national competitor; the need for more diverse voices and perspectives in this field of writing; the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the field of speech writing; and advice for young people looking to share their voices with the world.

How did you first discover the genre of speech writing, and what about it excited—and continues to excite—you?

I was *technically* introduced to speech writing in middle school, when I joined my middle school debate team—I just didn’t know that speechwriting was a thing! Formally, I didn’t know about speechwriting until my sophomore year of college at Howard, where members of the Howard University Speech and Debate Team were invited to the mentorship mixer at Georgetown University for the Professional Speechwriters Association World Conference.

It was there that I learned that speech writing, or what I’ve done in speech and debate, is more than an extracurricular; it’s actually a career that I’m able to take part in after my educational and competitive career ends! It was there that I learned about speech writing as an industry that should include everyone. Whether it’s politicians, celebrities and CEOs—everyone has a speechwriter. 

You recently started an organization called Speechwriters of Color. Tell us about your decision to do so, and your hopes and dreams for where this initiative is headed.

My initiative to form Speechwriters of Color came from a mentorship mixer, where there were only two black people in the room outside of Howard guests in attendance. I instantly questioned why there were so few black people in the room. There have to be black people that write speeches, right? So I decided to speak with people at the conference and kept following up with them to promote diversity initiatives regarding speechwriting.

I then decided to use that work and effort to organize the Inaugural Black Speechwriter Symposium that was hosted at Howard University in October 2019. That event received a great response and after spending my winter break doing some historical research, I knew I wanted to form an organization dedicated to promoting diversity in the speechwriting sector. More kids deserve to know about this opportunity for their future!

In the midst of a global pandemic, debate and oratory are looking quite different than in years past. For example, political candidates are no longer addressing large audiences, meaning there is less interactivity (applause, laughter) in the speaking and viewing experience. How are speechwriters adapting to this new environment? What changes, and what stays the same?

The first thing that comes to mind that changes is how impactful the delivery of a speaker can be in a virtual setting. That can significantly impact the timing of lines and words that normally might be based on the reaction of crowds.

During the pandemic, speechwriters have had to grapple with making sure that the words written for an individual connect with their audience, because you don’t have the privilege of non verbals and being in the same environment to actively connect with people.

But that being said, it still also shows the power that words can have as they resonate with people across the nation—even through a screen.

Who are your speech writing inspirations, and why? 

Janet Stovall and Cheril Clarke are like, major inspirations for me because they are two of the first black people that I witnessed within the field and Cheril is a Black Queer person as well so I definitely look up to her a ton! Another legend that inspires me is Terry Edmonds, who was the first Black Chief Speechwriter in the White House.

What advice do you have for writers approaching speech writing for the first time? 

You can do it. You have the talent, you have the capability, you have the competence. There might be some bumps in the road, but you can do it!  And don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t.

When it comes to peer review, what insights can you share about how to provide useful editorial feedback on peers’ works?

Be honest, like if something doesn’t make sense, don’t let it slide. You have to be truthful because people want their writing to be able to connect with another person. You want to help explain clearly what needs to change in another writer’s work, making sure that their words and their work affirms the message they want to share with others.

Following careers as presidential speech writers, some people have gone on to become authors in their own right, such as Ted Sorensen (JFK), Peggy Noonan (Reagan), and your fellow guest judge Sarah Hurwitz (Obama). Where do you think/hope your speech writing career will take you?  

The most exciting thing about my speech writing career is that it will make me a better storyteller and a better writer. As a speechwriter I hope I get the opportunity to adequately tell stories and communicate in a way that conveys to people how significantly policy impacts lives. 



Share this post: