Skip to content
Back to Blog

Speech Writing Competition 2018 Winners Announced

Throughout history, we’ve seen that a well-written and well-delivered speech can inspire social movements and galvanize people into action. So, for this month’s writing competition, we, along with the Edward M. Kennedy Institute, challenged you all to harness the power of the spoken word to craft your own speech on a topic you’re passionate about. We were blown away by pieces on everything from gun control laws in the U.S. to the benefits of a vegetarian diet. Today, we’re pleased to share the winners of Best Entry, Runner Up, Best Peer Review and Best Delivery, chosen by competition guest judge and former senior speechwriter to President Obama Stephen Krupin.

image

From Stephen:

BEST ENTRY

“The Strongest Thing in the World” by melodyluo

From the beginning to the end, you took your audience on a journey. Rather than talking at us, you created for us an experience. Your opening made me picture what you were picturing, which is an essential step in building a connection between the speaker and the audience – one no speaker can take for granted. You engaged my senses and my imagination throughout. And you closed with the kind of direct, urgent, and worthwhile call to action that is essential to an effective speech. The words you wrote about the power of those “squiggly lines” demonstrated the precise point you sought to convey. In doing so, you adhered to one of speechwriting’s critical laws: show, don’t tell. Rather than trying to convince us, you helped us convince ourselves.

RUNNER UP

“We the Youth” by writing_is_art

This was an inspiring and beautifully written speech that did more than inform or persuade me; it comforted me. It gave me confidence in a generation that is showing a deeper understanding of moral leadership than many who hold authority. I enjoyed how purposefully it was written for the ear and was especially moved by the peroration’s warning of a self-fulfilling prophecy. You are right: you deserve much more credit than you have been given.

BEST DELIVERY OF A SPEECH

“The voice in the dark” by BethanyIrvine43

When we try to match our voice to our message, our instincts sometimes tell us to convey our strongest points through a louder and faster delivery, the equivalent of bolding and underlining a big font. But your brave and bracing delivery proves that the opposite is true: a slower, softer reading can draw us in, focus our attention to the exclusion of everything else, and reach our hearts. For this speech, that approach was most appropriate. Your reading was as gripping as the words you read.

BEST PEER REVIEW

Kaartika’s review of “Embrace Imperfection”

This review offers a thoughtful mix of encouragement and tactical advice. Sometimes editing is about changing structure or syntax. Other times, as in this review, it can go out of its way to acknowledge the argument’s effect on its reader — and remind us that an editor can be vulnerable, too. In relating to the speech on a personal level, you’ve done the writer a great service.


Special thanks to the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for working with us to bring you this month’s Speech Writing Competition. Learn more about their organization here.



Share this post: