Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet Speech Writing Competition Winner Edwige Ghembesalu

For athletes, the practice of cross-training in a different sport serves to strengthen their performance in their primary sport. Edwige Ghembesalu (United States), winner of our Speech Writing Competition, illustrates how writers can use the same principles to strengthen their craft, as it was her experience as a poet that gave her prize-winning piece the “poetry, art, and music” that so impressed judge Sarah Hurwitz. 

Read on to learn about Edwige’s writing process, her reaction to comments from fellow Write the World members, and her book recommendation for 2020!

image

Guest Judge Sarah Hurwitz, who served as head speechwriter for First Lady Michelle Obama, said that “You have elevated speechwriting to the realm of poetry, art, and music which reach us in places beyond where a typical speech can penetrate.” How did you go about infusing your speech with its poetic rhythms, and what role do you think it plays in getting your message across?

I am so thankful to Ms. Hurwitz for her commentary! It was incredible reading her thoughts on my work. As for how I developed the speech’s poetic rhythm, it came sort of naturally. Most of the writing I do is poetry. And so, the way I write as a poet constantly seeps into all of my other writing forms. This was especially helpful when writing “When the Black Kids Go Missing” because it allowed me to paint powerful pictures which could speak for themselves. And sometimes, it’s much easier for people to connect to what they can see rather than what they may hear.

image

Do you have previous experience with speech writing, and if so, how did that inform your process for this speech? If not, how did you go about preparing to write it? 

I do happen to have the slightest bit of speech writing experience, but it was years ago when I wrote and presented one of the three chosen speeches for the graduating class of my middle school. And so, when I decided to enter the competition, I knew my speech writing was a bit rusty, and I figured it would be best for me to look at other speeches I’ve come to love. I also watched a Youtube video of Ms. Hurwitz titled, “Talk Like A Human Being,” and I no longer found myself trying to think of how to sound the most intelligent or educated. What mattered was getting my point across as sincerely as I could. And so I poured my frustration onto the page in one sitting, and I loved it.

Your piece has received many congratulatory comments from other Write the World members. What was your reaction to that feedback?

I was incredibly shocked and incredibly happy. There’s nothing better than knowing you’ve connected with an audience, and what you once thought wouldn’t be understood actually clicks with people. It gives me a lot of hope, seeing all of those positive responses. We have so much progress to make, but we also have so many compassionate and wise future leaders. Maybe they’ll help steer us back on the right path.

What is your favorite book you’ve read in 2020 (so far)?

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is a wonderful read. It has wonderful messages stored at the core of beautiful metaphors. Everyone should read it and learn something or even be reminded of all the beautiful things we’ve forgotten about.



Share this post: