Skip to content
Back to Blog

Science Fiction Competition Winner: Eloise Burger

There is often a false dichotomy of fan versus critic—the fan is there to enjoy, and the critic is there to provide negative feedback. But Best Peer Review winner, Eloise Burger, reminds us that the best critics are actually fans! “Allowing yourself to get fully absorbed in a piece before you start critiquing allows you to pick out the good things more easily,” she says. “If you visualise your intention as an editor as ‘I am here to criticise, not to enjoy the writing,’ you’ll miss out on the best parts of the work.” 

Read on to get more of Eloise’s great tips on peer reviewing and writing, plus her book recommendation!

image

Guest Judge Amie Kaufman said that your review found “lots of really specific things to praise, but [didn’t] hold back on giving clear feedback where it’s helpful.” What are your tips for other writers on achieving this balance?

Taking a light-hearted approach to your editing and allowing yourself to get fully absorbed in a piece before you start critiquing allows you to be much more open minded and lets you pick out the good things more easily. If you visualise your intention as an editor as “I am here to criticise, not to enjoy the writing,” you’ll miss out on the best parts of the work, and be unnecessarily critical in parts which don’t need that much maintenance.

Amie also said about your review: “I’d have thought it was written by one of my own professional editors.” How did it feel to receive such high praise?

Receiving this feedback felt amazing, not only because of this approval, but because I know I’m on the right track for future peer reviews and editing activities.

What is the most helpful feedback you’ve ever received on your writing, and what did it do well?

The most helpful feedback I have received is to be diverse in the things you write, especially if you are still working out a style. Writing everything from poetry to novellas to historical fiction helps you explore the aspects of what you like best and what aspects of worldbuilding you enjoy.

What’s a great book that you’ve read lately?

Writers and Their Cats by Alison Nastasi is a great pick for some short and sweet nonfiction.



Share this post: