Skip to content
Back to Blog

Film Review Tips with Matthew Gilbert

For years, Matthew Gilbert’s thoughtful critiques of books, movies and tv series have graced the pages of The Boston Globe. This January, we’re thrilled to have such an expert reviewer join us as our Film Review Competition Guest Judge! In our Q&A with Matthew, he offers critical (get it) advice on how to prepare for and write an engaging film review.

film review tips

How do you prepare for writing a review?


I try to watch with as little prior knowledge as possible, to get the basic gut experience of watching the show or movie.

THEN I read everything about it, except–and this is important, especially for young writers–other critical opinions. I want to know all the facts about the show, but I don’t want my personal impressions to be compromised by other opinions. After I finish writing my review, I may look at other critics, but only after I’ve gotten my own thoughts down. It’s really important to be true to your own feelings and judgements.

Generally, I watch only once, although sometimes, if it’s a complicated or especially rich piece of work, I will watch a second time. Second viewings can bring new perspectives. I always loved watching each episode of “Breaking Bad” twice, to get a fuller understanding of the show and to get twice as much enjoyment out of it.

I always take quick, short notes during the viewing. I don’t want to use brain space while I’m watching trying to remember my ideas. Sometimes the notes are about the plot, or the visuals, or the jokes–but often the notes are just about how the show makes me feel, and how the show fits into our culture at large.

How much does personal bias play into writing a review and how do you strike the right balance between your own pre-conceived notions of a show/film and what you saw on the screen?


That is a great question! We’re talking about reviews, and not news reporting, so opinion isn’t just acceptable; it’s essential. You are giving the reader your particular take on a show or a movie. You need to be open about how you formed your opinion–if you had high hopes that were dashed, if you had low expectations that were wrong, etc.

BUT: While you are giving your opinion and justifying it to the reader, you need to describe the show or movie. You need to fit in facts–what the movie is about, what it’s based on, what it looks like, etc. When the reader finishes your review, he or she needs to know your opinion AND what the movie is, apart from your opinion.

Prior to your work at The Globe as a tv critic, you worked as a film critic. Are there any significant differences in reviewing film vs tv?


In both cases, you are judging a piece of storytelling, from the script and the cinematography to the acting. But there is one really big difference.

In most cases, you have only one shot at a movie. You give readers your take on it, and then you move on to other movies.

With TV shows, you can revisit your opinion over time, as the show changes from episode to episode and from season to season. You get to live with a show and its characters for an extended period. I didn’t like “Six Feet Under” when HBO sent me the first episodes for review. But by the end of the first season, I was a huge fan, and got to write about the show over and over again during its run.

What are you looking for in a strong competition entry?


I want to sense that the writer is having a good time while writing the piece. I want his or her opinion to be clear–even if it’s a mixed opinion–but I also want to get an objective sense of what the film is about.

And I want to hear about where the film fits into our culture. Is it about innocence and peace at a time when the world is consumed by war? Is it about a perfect politician at a time when politics is messy? Relate the film to its wider context.

What should writers try to avoid when writing a review?


I often see critics falling in love with their own snark, when they don’t like a movie or film. It’s good to have fun when you’re writing, but you don’t want to fall into nastiness.

By the same token, when you like something, it’s not enough to say “This is good.” You need to explain what you like, in detail. I find writing positive reviews more challenging in this way. When you’re telling the reader to spend time watching a movie or show, you’re putting yourself on the line.

In addition to your work at the Globe, are there other critics/media outlets whose work you recommend to our young writers?


Yes! I read Tim Goodman at The Hollywood Reporter and James Poniewozik at the New York Times. They are both passionate and intelligent. The A.V. Club also has an impressive roster of writers. When James Parker at the Atlantic writes about TV–hell, when he writes about any piece of art or culture–he blows my mind.

Is there a show or movie that you love dearly despite harsh criticisms in the media?


Oh yes indeed! I never miss an episode of “Chicago Fire,” even though it is pretty awful and universally scorned by critics. What can I say?!



Share this post: