Skip to content
Back to Blog

Nature and Environmental Poetry Competition 2021 Winners Announced

It is critical to hold on to hope in the face of crisis; in fact, the ability to hope demonstrates both courage and imagination—the very things needed to illuminate the path forward. Your entries for our Nature & Environmental Poetry Competition were infectious in their hope, providing a vision for a better future.

Discover Guest Judge Ellen van Neerven’s winning picks and commentary below!

image

POETRY WINNERS: 

Winner: To Everyone (and the future most likely) by OccasionalPoemDoer (Australia)

This special poem is a poignant response to ecological crisis that expertly twists feelings of hopelessness into a lyric of hope, action, and community through words and story. The themes are universal and the space created in this poem allows for multiplicities. Through rhyme and close line control, the poet has created a memorable and engaging poem that stays with the reader. Through this winning entry, this writer shows they have an exciting future ahead of them.

Runner Up: The Singing Lark by OceanWriter (United States)

This poem uses repetition and rhyme as the heartbeat for a poem about renewal after loss. Using strong images and symbols, this poem holds a message of hope and continuance, especially carried in the last line, which resonates strongly with the reader. This eco-poetry is vital for the times we are living in.

PEER REVIEW WINNER:

Best Peer Review: Sydney H.’s (Switzerland) review of the humming lake

The reviewer has written an excellent review of the poem. The review is thoughtful, clear, and generative. It is obvious that the reviewer has spent a lot of time and hard work composing the review, putting themselves in the writer’s shoes, and gathering their thoughts in a way that engages and connects with the writer in a special way. The reviewer has a strong future ahead of them working with words!


POETRY FINALISTS

Three Ways of Saying The Sun is Setting by Chai Tea (Australia)

Small blaze in a roaring fire by Amalou (Morocco)

slug ladies by Margaret Francis (United States)

The Outdoor Instrument by caitlinrose (United States)

An Old Hospital by Sora Myastan (United States)


PEER REVIEW FINALISTS: 

Sydney H.s’ review of As the Cherry Blossoms Start to Fall

Sydney H’s review of The Savanna

SunV’s (India) review of The Tree I Call Mine 


HIGHLY COMMENDED POEMS:
 

Whisper by Blue Moons (United States)

The Bees are Gone by Cucoolchameleon (United States)

A glance at the moving mirror by Panagiotis Papanikolaou (Greece)

Relocation by Alaro Basit (Nigeria)

Chronologically, I Ache and Exclaim by Hermina (China)

Myth of the deep by Bob Liu (Canada)

vulpes pilum mutat, non mores by Written_In_Water (United Kingdom)

Turn Me Green by BruceTete (United States)

Elkhead by Sophia Hall (United States)

Huginns Grove by Jacklyn1301 (United States)

The Mother’s Melody by that_kodava_author (India)

Time’s End by Isla Hutchins (United Kingdom)



Share this post: