Skip to content
Back to Blog

Nature & Environmental Poetry Competition Winner: Ryder Kereopa

For Ryder Kereopa (Australia), winner of our Nature & Environmental Poetry Competition, writing proves a valuable tool for exploring the various and sometimes contradicting responses to climate change. In reference to his prize-winning poem, he says, “I attempted to string together the varying views into a cohesive piece of writing.” But writing is not just a means of sorting through these solutions; it’s a solution in and of itself. As he points out, “Writing about climate change keeps the issue topical—which is especially important for young people and future generations.” 

Read on to learn about Ryder’s writing process and the notable poet in his family tree!

image

Guest Judge Ellen van Nerveen said “the space created in [your] poem allows for multiplicities.” How, in 16 lines, did you manage to capture the contradicting impulses and responses we as individuals and a community often have in the face of climate change? 

While the goal is to have a consistent and coordinated community response to the challenge of climate change, where we all work collectively with strength on chosen solutions, we are a community of differing views and values. Knowing this, I attempted to string together the varying views into a cohesive piece of writing. I wanted to blend a mixture of my own evolving opinions and common public reactions to the climate change crisis by summarising them in the italicised lines and separate paragraphs. 

Your poem takes a complex view of what the act of writing can achieve in response to climate change. Did crafting this poem help you come to any answers or conclusions about the role writing should play in combating the ecological crisis? 

Before writing, I researched varying opinions that people have about the climate change crisis to incorporate them into my poem. Through this research, I came across various arguments, some of which shaped my own opinions on this issue, which led me to a revelation; you don’t need to classify your own opinions into a group with others. While many young people feel as if their opinions must be in line with those who influence them (family, teachers, celebrities), it’s okay to question the principles of others, as that is how we grow. Writing about climate change keeps the issue topical—which is especially important for young people and future generations. 

How did you go about deciding to employ a rhyme scheme in your poem, rather than free verse? 

When writing my poem, I chose to use an imperfect rhyming style, using words such as “stop” and “clocks,” or the words “beliefs” and “sheets.” I chose to do this as I didn’t want my poem to sound too polished—I liked the rough or “jagged” edge effect the imperfect rhymes created. 

Which poets are inspiring you right now? 

My primary influence is my great-great grandfather, a writer and poet. He published a book of Australian bush ballad poetry in 1929. His name was Cecil Winter (Winter-Bottom) and he was born on an Australian outback sheep and cattle station in 1882. He wrote as “Riverina,” a reflection of his place of birth.  

Even though he left school for work at 12 or 13, his writing skills were acknowledged even then in school reports which we have. 

He wrote of the bush and it’s characters in such a powerful way. He spoke of the clean beauty of the Australian outback. I like to think I inherited my love of poetry from him. 



Share this post: