Skip to content
Back to Blog

Delving into Journalism with our July Competition Winners

"The biggest journalism tip I would have for my fellow writers is to follow the research and let the story speak for itself," says young writer Nausicaa Chu, who won our July Journalism Competition. "Do the research, get the full picture, and never assume anything."

Read on for more fascinating advice from Nausicaa, as well as insights from winners Kori and Shukti!

Nausicaa Chu, Winner:

Nausicaa Chu

In your winning article, you wrote about the struggles faced by international medical graduates. How did you first encounter this issue, and what made you decide to write about it?

My dad is a colorectal surgeon at the University of Alabama in Birmingham, and when I was researching different topics, he mentioned that international medical graduates (IMGs) face challenges in the medical system. After exploring the topic further, I saw that a lot of articles had been written about how IMGs could be a solution to problems in the medical system, such as doctor shortages or a lack of surgeons in rural areas. But little to no media outlets focused on the problems that IMGs themselves face in America. The apparent invisibility of international doctors to the public means that the glaring holes in their training — such as the unpaid positions that could lead to financial devastation, and the lack of institutional support for even the most talented doctors — goes unnoticed and unchecked. I wanted to bring attention to a story on the margins of the medical field: how America pays so little attention to the lives of IMGs while they pay an enormous price just to take care of ours.

Do you have any journalism tips for your fellow writers?

The biggest journalism tip I would have for my fellow writers is to follow the research and let the story speak for itself. It’s tempting to write an article with a fixed vision of what the narrative will look like. When I began this article, I thought it would be a sweeping story of not just the medical system but the history of immigration in the U.S. But after talking with the four wonderful doctors that are featured in this story, I realized that the more nuanced issues that IMGs encounter would be the best story to cover. A teacher once told me to “turn every page” — meaning to do the research, get the full picture, and never assume anything. In journalism, I don’t think that advice could be truer.

Kori Robinson, Runner-Up:

Kori Robinson

What inspired you to write your winning article?

I was inspired by the diversity of Jackson Heights and the kindness of those I was fortunate to interview. There is a sort of hospitality and hardworking nature that is evident in the community. It is hard to go more than five minutes in Jackson Heights without seeing some sort of proof of a life thoroughly lived. I met many people from the Hispanic community, interviewing them in Spanish because it is so heavily spoken in the neighborhood, and it was funny to me that I was able to find two men from non-Spanish speaking countries who talked to me in more Spanish than English. I wanted to capture that humor but also get to the root of why. It became clear to me that so many people, unsurprisingly, feel comforted by the large Hispanic population. They feel seen and represented. I thought that was a story worth telling.

Guest Judge Melinda Wenner Moyer commented that you did "a fantastic job weaving in broader data and historical facts". How did you balance telling the personal stories of Ali and Mazar with wider social and political context?

I think the nut graf (informational background section) was the hardest part for me to convey clearly. There was so much I wanted to say and narrowing down the information to the most important parts took some time. Ultimately, I found that telling friends and family the stories of those I interviewed helped me figure out what data was necessary. If it didn’t make sense in an oral account of the article, then the context was likely being overdone and overshadowing the central message. The stories of these two men and the implications of their lived experiences were the two things I wanted to write with the most concision. If I could provide historical details to help the reader understand the cultural significance of different aspects of their lives and experiences in Jackson Heights, then I felt like I was on the right track.

Shukti Yeware, Best Peer Review:

Shukti Yeware

How did you approach writing this peer review?

When I first encountered the piece 'Philippines: Solving Never-Ending Traffic Today,' the title immediately caught my attention because I live in a city that also struggles with never-ending traffic. This personal connection made me eager to explore the essay. Before writing my peer review, I carefully read the original work to understand the author's intentions and the message they wanted to convey. However, this proved to be somewhat challenging as some of the terms used in the essay were unfamiliar to me. Despite this, I focused on understanding the overall flow of the narrative, the clarity of the ideas, and the effectiveness of the language. My goal was to provide constructive feedback that could help the writer improve their piece while also acknowledging the strengths of their work. In the end, I aimed to offer insights that could help the author enhance their writing, ensuring that their important message reaches a broader audience.

What other writing or editing projects are you currently working on?

I don't have a lot of writing or editing projects going on at the moment, but I’m currently working on a short story. It's a mystery and fantasy piece that explores the concept of parallel universes and alternate realities. This project allows me to dive into an imaginary world while crafting a suspenseful narrative that keeps readers engaged.



Share this post: