Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet Best Peer Review Winner Alise Gentile

A great editor helps a writer to thrive and grow—encouraging the writer to return to their draft and delve deeper into their story. One of the best ways an editor can empower a writer and encourage this sort of development is to ask the writer questions about their work. As Alise Gentile (US), Best Peer Review winner for our Novel Writing Competition, says, questions enable the writer “to think of what they can fix in a newer way.” 

We talk more to Alise about her peer reviewing process, her writing resolution for 2022, and more!

image

How did you go about choosing which entry to review, and what tips do you have for other writers in selecting a piece to peer review? 

I read a couple of pieces, and I really liked this story. The story and the message are great, and I felt like it had a lot of potential. Out of all the stories I read, this one really caught my eye because it had a unique story line. I really enjoyed reading this piece, and I feel like the author just needed a little help with revising!

What was your process for reviewing this piece? 

I read the story a couple of times, and I made a mental note of what suggestions I could make. I wanted to make sure the author knew that the story was good, and I also made sure to point out any small errors in the story. 

Our Guest Judge Laura Wood praised your review for incorporating “just the kind of questions I want my editor asking me!” Why do you think asking questions is such a powerful tool for peer reviewers?

Asking questions really makes the author think about what can be changed. This way, the editor does not just do all the work, and the author can be challenged to think of what they can fix in a newer way.

What is your writing resolution for 2022? 

I would like to be able to help more people in their writing, while improving my writing myself!



Share this post: