Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet Genevieve Smith, Creative Nonfiction Competition Winner

When it comes to incorporating the advice “less is more” into your writing, you may worry that a focus on concision will ultimately mean a stripping back of your personal style. However, as our Creative Nonfiction Competition winner Genevieve Smith (US) says, there are plenty of ways to write “cleanly” without losing personality: “Focus on how smaller words or moments can be made meaningful,” she advises. “Try using similes or metaphors that could make your reader stop and really think about what you’re saying.” 

Learn how Genevieve chose a topic and organized her prize-winning piece, plus discover her writing goals for 2022!

image

How did you decide on a topic for this piece? Did you know instantly what you wanted to write about, or did you sort through a few ideas? 

My first instinct was to think of experiences that have shaped who I am as a person or triggered strong emotions. The friendship I explored in this piece seemed to perfectly encapsulate a few key moments in my life. 

Why did you choose to separate your piece into different themed headings (“The Roots,” “The Bloom,” “The Storm”)? How did these headings help shape your piece? 

I chose to organize my piece like this for a few reasons: I wanted to have a semblance of organization to the piece, and it helped keep my thoughts separate yet connected under a single theme. Also, I wanted to keep the piece tied to nature using the headings, descriptions, and similes that I put in throughout.

Our Guest Judge Beverly Beckham praised your piece for its crisp, clean writing. What advice do you have for other young writers wanting to develop a less-is-more style while still keeping their unique voice?

I would encourage other young writers to step away from excessive adjectives or adverbs (I often have trouble with this as well!) and focus on how smaller words or moments can be made meaningful. In addition, you can still be creative while keeping your writing “less-is-more.” Try using similes or metaphors that could make your reader stop and really think about what you’re saying.

What writing project are you most looking forward to working on in 2022? 

In 2022, I’m really excited to be joining my school newspaper and trying out reporting, a form of writing that I’m not very familiar with. In terms of creative writing, I’m hoping to tackle more short stories. I really struggle with procrastination (like most writers, I’m sure), so hopefully that will keep my creativity flowing!



Share this post: