Skip to content
Back to Blog

Creative Nonfiction Competition 2021 Winners Announced

We’ve all experienced that sudden realization that we are no longer children; what’s unique to each one of us, however, is the triggering event that sparked this recognition. Your entries in our Creative Nonfiction Competition succeeded in bringing to vivid life these specific experiences—from the end of a friendship to moving abroad to realizing a beloved parent is growing older—all while highlighting the universality of these diverse moments. 

Discover Guest Judge Beverly Beckham’s winning picks and commentary below, along with the finalists and highly commended pieces!

image

WINNERS: 

Winner: A Natural Ending by genevieve.writes (United States)

Personal taste comes into play when judging anything. All of the entries I read were excellent. But I chose “A Natural Ending” as the winner not only because the author hooked me with her first sentence: “I scroll through Instagram, pausing on a picture of a girl I once knew,” but also because she didn’t burden this sentence with adverbs and adjectives: I quickly scroll…pausing suddenly…beautiful girl. Because I like writing that is crisp, “two bottled sodas sweating under the summer sun,” writing that says a lot with few words: “She is cool, like the girls in books from the Teen section of the library that I slip past my mother.” Because who hasn’t wanted to be friends with “the most breathtaking girl (person) in the world?” Because I like the story’s honesty “The end to our friendship wasn’t a storm at all; it was a fire that fizzled out after too much rain.” And I like its resolution

Runner Up: The Running Track by rebepark116 (United States)

Once again, I plead personal taste. I chose “The Running Track” as runner up because, once again, the author made me care from the get-go. I had a father and though we never ran together I tried to please him in other ways. The need to please our parents is universal. But this story shines because it is specific, too. The author’s realization of her father’s aging, for example: “I always knew that people get older, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I never envisioned it happening to him.” Haven’t we all felt this about someone we love? And the silence between father and daughter as their roles are changing? It’s honest and moving. The ending, too, is perfect. “He looks surprised, but soon a wide smile spreads across his face, and he responds, ‘Of course.””

PEER REVIEW WINNER:

Best Peer Review: makayla.writes’s (United States) review of Salty

makayla.writes has a gentle and positive touch. I have a file full of college essays red-inked with criticism so I am aware, to this day,  of what negative feedback can do. makayla.writes is an excellent reviewer because she is helpful, not hurtful. “If you’re looking for parts to take out, maybe consider condensing this a bit.” This, not words crossed out in red, is the way to help someone. I like her tone in every one of her comments. She relates to the writer as a peer and not as a superior: “There’s a lot of use of the word “just.” (I do this, too!) But, I feel as if it could be seen as redundant or as weakening your story. It’s kind of a wishy-washy word, if that makes sense.” She has a light touch and I like this and I’m pretty sure the writers who are being peer reviewed like it, too.

Creative Nonfiction Finalists: 

The Forward March of Life by Alena SG (Singapore)

Vertigo by gabyrosebeck (United States)

The Kitchen by Yellow Sweater (United States)


Peer Review Finalists: 

*wildflower*’s (United States) review of Fifteen

SunV’s (India) review of Sophomoric

Creative Nonfiction Highly Commended: 

i am my own island of silence by thebookishfey (Canada)

Her (Dragon) Costume by Molly_ (United Kingdom)

Tattoos by cwaters497 (United States)

Stranger in a Strange Land by Aurora. (Singapore)

Leukemia by marionfife (United States)

Growing Pains by lina (United Kingdom)



Share this post: