Skip to content
Back to Blog

Seventeen Personal Essay Competition Winners Announced

image

When we partnered with publishing icon SEVENTEEN to bring you our Personal Essay Competition, we knew we’d be tapping into something really special. We encouraged all of you to think about the topic of change and to tell your own story of change–how you’re making it, experiencing it, or dreaming about it. Your responses on everything from learning how to advocate for yourself in the face of adversity to destigmatizing mental illness, showed us just how big of an impact our small community can (and will) have on the global stage. Today, we’re excited to share what SEVENTEEN Executive Director Kristin Koch had to say about your work and which pieces earned the top honors in our Personal Narrative Competition.

From Kristin:

BEST ENTRY
“The Something More” by Shao_Xinning (Singapore)

A powerful essay on the importance of connection and change, the author does an excellent job of illustrating the importance of being exposed to other cultures and people. Through her personal narrative, we are able to understand what life is like growing up in a remote part of the world, which she articulates beautifully.

image

RUNNER UP
“What to Say to a Dying Man” by GardeLuve (United States)

This essay was beautifully written. The author beautifully articulates her relationship with her father and how much he meant to her and brings to life the  pain of  watching a loved one die. She manages to find hope in heartbreak and express it in a way that a reader, even one who may not have had that experience, can understand. The essay is raw and honest and powerful as it chronicles the writer’s personal journey while dealing with her father’s illness and prognosis. It is heartbreaking and yet manages to be hopeful.

BEST PEER REVIEW
amelia18’s (United States) review of “Do What Is The Best For You” by leahlg2

The review does an excellent job of pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of the essay in a way that is thoughtful and actionable. I loved the specific suggestions for improvement as well as the examples of what works — this type of feedback can really help an author to improve their writing. The critique focused on all elements of a well-written essay, from structure and tone to grammar and flow. They did a great job of packaging everything in a positive way that is both helpful and meaningful.



Share this post: