Skip to content
Back to Blog

Historical Fiction Competition Winner: Eleanor Richardson

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there,” L.P. Hartley wrote in his novel The Go-Between. Eleanor Richardson’s preparation for writing “Midwinter Bright,” the winner of our Historical Fiction Competition, perfectly illustrates Hartley’s metaphor. Just like one would before traveling abroad, she undertook extensive research before embarking on her short story: “I researched the day-to-day lives of people in [England] 1066, including how they lived, dressed, and what they ate. The geography back then was very different, so I found a map from the time and used that for place names.”

Read on to learn more about Eleanor’s writing process and her Historical Fiction reading recommendations!

image

Did the character of Ida come after you settled on a time period, or were you searching for a time period to put Ida in?

Ida came to me first, then I looked for a time to place her in. I immediately knew that I wanted to write about a young woman facing a decision and the importance of choosing kindness, which helped me to narrow down my ideas for the rest of the story.

With all of history to choose from, how did you decide on which time period to write about? 

I initially considered a few other time periods, but I went for 1067 because I wanted to challenge myself to try and relate to someone from so long ago. The French settlers coming to England is a very current issue, as migration can still be contentious.

image

What research did you do before writing this piece?

I researched the day-to-day lives of people in 1066, including how they lived, dressed, and what they ate. The geography back then was very different, so I found a map from the time and used that for place names. I was shocked by how young people were when they married so wanted to include that in my story, too.

What is your favorite work of historical fiction? 

I absolutely love Atonement by Ian McEwan—it’s such a moving book, I cry every time I read it! Growing up I really loved the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, his take on Greek mythology was so funny and engaging. I would recommend those books to anyone.



Share this post: