Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet My December Competition Winner Amalia Costa

We could all take a page from Amalia Costa’s book. When working on her My December Competition entry, she not only submitted her draft for expert review, she kept herself on track by creating an outline of what she wanted to include in her story. Amalia’s thorough approach paid off, earning her praise from guest judge Rebecca Denton who marveled at the work’s “delicacy and vulnerability”. In our interview with the astute author, we learn more about the process of planning and writing “A Taken Seat at an Empty Table”. Amalia also shares more on her plan to complete Write the World Competition Bingo as well as a glimpse at life in North London.

image

Can you tell us about your process for writing this piece? 

I initially found my story quite difficult to write since it was such a personal piece and it felt so strange to think about Christmas Day with my family not as a memory but as a pen-to-paper story that needed metaphors and similes to work properly! I found that typing up a quick plan of everything I wanted to write about really helped me make the story tighter and got rid of any unnecessary bits. I also received great advice from my Expert Reviewer!

What do you hope readers will take away from this piece? 

There’s no right or wrong way to deal with grief, but it’s important to make the most of the bonds you have with those you love who are here with you now. Also, my trifle, as mentioned at the end of the story, actually turned out okay in real life, so don’t be afraid to give things a go. I’d like to think that I made my Yiayia proud. 

What are some things our community might not know about your home city? 

I’m from North London, which is incredibly multicultural and busy. There’s a huge Greek Cypriot community here and everyone knows everyone, so you always run into someone at the supermarket or the shopping center! 

Do you have any writing resolutions for 2020? 

I want to complete the WtW Bingo sheet and enter every competition, and give scriptwriting a go!



Share this post: