Skip to content
Back to Blog

Food Writing Competition Winners Announced

From the complexities of cultural assimilation and appropriation, to the art and science of propagation, food writing encompasses many disciplines. Yet, for all of its nuance, it also distills: It reminds us what it means to prepare food with those we love, to sit down to a hearty meal and lively conversation, to be transported by the scent of a favorite ingredient to our ancestors whom we miss or perhaps never even met. Below, Guest Judge Limahl Asmall shares his reflections on the winning pieces and peer reviews from our recent Food Writing competition. May they whet your appetites and inspire you to write.

image

Winner: The Dumpling Table, Audrey_W, Singapore

When I read this story to my partner, I witnessed tears in her eyes. I too felt a tightness in my chest and a hope that the author returns to her dumpling table in the future. It’s been a few days since first reading “The Dumpling Table” and it has burned itself in my memory. The language used to describe the author’s experience of Chinese culture through food is exemplary; at times making my mouth water, and at others gifting me intimate stories of familial and cultural bonds.  I find myself wanting to know more. I find myself thinking about this story long after I have read it. 

An incredibly thought provoking and beautifully written story about growing up with two cultures.  A must read. 

“The Dumpling Table” is my overall winner. Many congratulations!

Runner Up: The Rice Pudding I Wasn’t Taught To Make, janevra, Canada

This compelling story pulls you along, it is a joy to read. It’s the type of prose you’ll purposefully re-read to unearth new gems each time. I was enthralled by the culinary journey and lulled by the gentle rhythm only to find the author punctuate my nostalgic trip with their own reality—the way the author expertly takes the reader through the contrasting elements of this piece is a great accomplishment indeed. 

The short piece is deeply personal, yet I felt connected to the author throughout. We are gifted a glimpse into their deepest thoughts on heritage and bear witness to their newfound empowerment. 

An accomplished piece of writing, many congratulations.

Part Two: Selection of Best Peer Review

“The Rice Pudding I Wasn’t Taught to Make” Reviewed by Bobby Girl, US

I love the enthusiasm and the constructive criticism that both contribute to the success of this review. The reviewer is quite rightly enthralled with the piece—offering ample encouragement and advice for improvement. Instead of imposing their belief in how the writing ‘should’ be improved, the reviewer suggests how it ‘could’ be improved. This subtly in choice of language is often the difference between accepting criticism and rejecting criticism. 

The reviewer has done an excellent job dissecting what makes this piece of writing so vivid and compelling. Their observation that the author engages the five senses is particularly astute: touch (“earthy feel”), taste (“bitter freedom”), hearing (“I cook waiting for my blood to buzz”), smell (“peppery smell of ground cinnamon and cardamom pods filling each inhale”), and vision (“snaking golden rivers of fat”).

The highlighted notes are both useful and encouraging. It is obvious the reviewer has methodically and thoughtfully conducted a peer review with the aim of helping the author succeed.

Editor’s Note: Congratulations to everyone who entered our Food Writing Competition this month. The standard of work was exceptional. Well done!

image

Shortlisted Pieces: 

Fragrant Dreams, Aurora26, India

My Great Aunt’s Guddu-Kura, Siri Palreddy, US

Highly Commended Pieces:

Dough, Anish Aradhey, US

Memories of Mouthfeel, anoushkaa, India 

Ba’s Kitchen, Olivia Guess, US

one a penny, two a penny, asta, India

To Share A Meal, TKD, US

Jokes and Jiaozi, Karen Yang, US

Fish Eyes, Naomi Ling, US

Threading Memories into Recipes, Vinter Vejen, Qatar

The Importance of Jewish Bread, Sarah Schecter, US



Share this post: