Skip to content
Back to Blog

Climate Change Writing Competition Winners Announced 2022

There has never been a more pressing time to bring climate change to the forefront of our discussions, and young people around the world play a crucial part in raising awareness and holding leaders accountable. Our October competition saw young writers use insightful personal narratives to tackle the issue of climate change on a local, national and global level.

Read on to discover the winners, finalists and highly commended pieces, along with commentary from Guest Judge Bill McKibben.

image

WINNERS

Winner: The thing about water scarcity by Holy_Grail (Nigeria)

I’ve read few accounts more powerful than this of what drought feels like–powerful because it’s not self-pitying, powerful because it’s relentless in its metronomic ticking off of the months, powerful because of the careful descriptive language. This is remarkable reporting, from the place where climate change is taking its most severe (and unfair) toll; it’s the kind of story that everyone needs to hear and grapple with.

Runner up: Singing in Grant Town by Davin Faris (US)

This is a beautifully written account; the reader feels the tension, the rain, the cold, the atmosphere. And the reader feels the commitment, too. Civil disobedience needs explaining; the act is a statement, but (as the recent museum protests in Europe have made clear) the statement often requires translation. This is direct, bracing, and inspiring, and it involves both reflection and action; there’s plenty of heart but no sentimentality.

Best Peer Review (selected by Write the World): Gedo’s Farm, reviewed by Anna A. (Philippines)

Anna A. provided a wonderful balance of positive feedback and constructive criticism. Not only that, but her feedback was incredibly specific. Examples are so important to help a writer know what they did well and what needs improvement. In particular, I loved that Anna A. asked the writer questions when recommending more moments of reflection: “What was the first thing that came into your head when the flamingoes disappeared? Did tears stream down your eyes?” I also loved her emphasis on what the piece did well, especially the piece’s focus on a “small,” or focused, part of the writer’s life as a lens into the climate crisis at large. And while her feedback was thorough, it wasn’t overwhelming. Great work, Anna A.!

FINALISTS

“Singapore’s Very Own New Zealand” by ArcticBear (Singapore)

Scorched With Change by Cat11 (Australia)

Prayer to a Sinking City by Lyka_4 (US)

PEER REVIEW FINALISTS

Prutehi I Tåsi: Protect the Sea, reviewed by ‘Nuca (Australia)

Heatstroke, reviewed by joeD (Malaysia)

The girl at the toy store, reviewed by Extrasweet (US)

HIGHLY COMMENDED

When fall is over by b.chaverri (Mexico)

the clouds shed no tears by Nausicaa Chu (US)

What climate change is for us by Ravile (South Korea)

A Change in Childhood by Ananya Sahoo (India)

Prutehi I Tåsi: Protect the Sea by magpies in may (Guam)

Humanity’s Curse by cerulean (US)

Despairing and Sharks by Vinny (US)

Thank you again to everyone who entered, and congratulations to all our winners! 



Share this post: