Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet Speech Writing Best Delivery Winner Tiger-Lily Snowdon

In most cases, a piece of writing speaks for itself. But, as Tiger-Lily Snowdon’s (UK) win for Best Delivery for our Speechwriting Competition illustrates, a speech doesn’t fully come to life until a speaker performs it, adding nuance, emotion, and personality to the words on the page. Here, she offers tips for outstanding oratory, explores how her online community helped inspire this speech, and tells us about her writing goals for the rest of 2020. Read on!

image

Guest Judge Michael Franklin called your entry “a powerfully delivered speech that informs and pulls in its audience with a compelling story that articulates the quiet struggle faced by millions of people worldwide.” How did you go about weaving your personal experience with M.E. into larger advocacy for disability accommodations?

I’ve lived with ME for around six years now and during that time I have built up an online network of friends within the chronic illness community, through supporting and using the services provided by charities such as Action for ME. During this time, I’ve heard many people’s stories of how their lives have been impacted by their illnesses or disabilities and how the world could change to become a more accommodating place. While everyone’s personal experience is unique to them, I felt there were probably a lot of issues I encountered that were also experienced by others. I incorporated my personal experience as I was able to speak with authority on this, whilst knowing that my experiences were just one example of difficulties faced by many millions of people worldwide. I hoped that this would resonate with  people with chronic illnesses and disabilities and enhance the understanding of those without.

Michael Franklin praised your delivery as “frank, powerful, and somber.” Did this delivery come naturally to you, or did you try out different “styles” before landing on this one?

I thought about a variety of tones and styles in which to deliver it, from angry to more optimistic, before settling on this one. I wanted the delivery of the speech to hammer in the message that I was trying to get across and sound authentic without alienating or blaming anyone. I didn’t want the speech to come across as too angry and critical, rather I hoped to inform people of the struggles that millions face daily and raise an awareness of how the world could become more accessible and inclusive.

image

What advice do you have for other young speech writers looking to deliver a speech?

I would say, perform the speech while you deliver it. By this I mean if the subject matter is happy, smile, or if the subject matter is solemn, frown, or if you are angry at someone, envisage that person. This “acting out” of the speech helps to make the delivery genuine and helps to drive home your message. You can record your speech and listen back to it. Play around with the tone and consider which words or parts you want to emphasize or rearrange, and re-record it until you are happy with the end result.

What are your writing goals for the remainder of 2020?

I’ve got school exams coming up, so many other things, including writing, have to take a backseat. However, writing is a great creative outlet for me. Prior to being ill my passions were performing arts and sport, since I am no longer able to participate in these activities I try to continue writing whenever I can! This year I started to write a blog incorporating my other passions of sewing and history, so I am hoping to add more content to that. Also, one of my main goals is to write an article in a newspaper or magazine so I will continue to write articles and letters and reach out to them. Discovering Write the World has been amazing and I hope to continue to hone my writing skills with the WtW community’s help. And, finally, I’ve started to craft characters and plotlines for a book that I am hoping to write very soon!



Share this post: