Skip to content
Back to Blog

All About Op-Ed, with the Winners of our March Competition

Op-ed is a form that requires a delicate balance between opinion and fact, between narrative and argument, and between personal and universal experience. “Incorporating personal anecdotes makes writing easier and strengthens its authenticity,” says Annie Jiang, winner of our Op-Ed Writing Competition. “I believe personal examples are essential for connecting the audience with the topic, as some may have had similar experiences.”

Learn more about the winners and their approaches to writing and editing!

Annie Jiang, Winner:

Annie Jiang

In your winning op-ed, you discussed the flawed idea of the American dream. What inspired you to write about this topic?

I am currently an academic mentor for my school’s English Language Developing (ELD) students, and one of the biggest struggles I’ve noticed from them is a sense of unbelonging—in other words, they perceive themselves as marginalized or excluded from being Americans because they can’t speak English well. After hearing many of their desires to make American friends, I've realized that their goals frequently revolve around an idealized and glorified depiction of what it means to have American friends. This year, my English and History classes taught me about the origins of the American Dream, American immigration, and my own struggle with identity, all of which inspired me to write about this topic. 

My love for journalism stems from the ability to explore and appreciate knowledge that is not my own, so I originally intended to explore the flaws of the American Dream through feature writing. I interviewed many people at school about their perceptions of the American Dream and discovered how complex the concept is. Although I enjoy feature writing in journalism, I never feel confident in my ability to write an op-ed. So, in addition to wanting to unpack my struggles and write a coherent op-ed, I decided to form my own opinion on the biggest flaw of the American Dream: it is not inclusive enough for Americans. 

Guest Judge Neel Patel commended your "clear, discernible thesis," which you then backed up with your own experiences. How important is it to include personal stories in an op-ed, and why?

I believe that some level of personal connection is required to make an op-ed compelling and effective. I am a first-generation immigrant, so this is a very personal and sensitive topic for me. It is difficult for me to put my thoughts into words, so I believe that incorporating personal anecdotes makes writing easier and strengthens its authenticity. Because the entire purpose of an op-ed is to demonstrate why the topic is important, I believe personal examples are essential for connecting the audience with the topic, as some may have had similar experiences.

What writing or creative projects are you currently working on?

I am currently working on a journalism piece that aims to highlight the voices of ELD students. Throughout my year as an academic mentor, I've learned that the common stereotypes at school about them are incorrect. Those who do not speak English fluently should never feel disrespected or marginalized. I am in the process of documenting their arrival in the United States, the cultural differences they face, and the opportunities they miss due to language barriers. Although I've been working on it for a while because it's difficult to get authentic student voices, given how sensitive this topic is to many people, I'm going to keep trying because I know it'll be a meaningful piece regardless of the outcome.

Katerina Bizirtsaki, Best Peer Review:

Katerina Bizirtsaki

You've written reviews in lots of different genres! Do you have any tips for giving feedback in a nonfiction form, like op-ed?

It's crucial to recognize what genre you are reviewing. When reviewing op-ed, the main focus is having a cohesive argument through whatever means necessary. Since everyone has a different writing style, I suggest pinpointing the main form of persuasion and then reviewing the piece according to what it is. For example, an op-ed focusing on emotions will be vastly different from a more statistical and factual one. After all, what matters is that the writer is able to express their view in the clearest manner possible while maintaining their own voice.

How do you ensure you provide feedback in a positive and encouraging way?

I always put myself in the writer's shoes! If I were them, I would want to know what works and what doesn't in my writing. This helps me find the most honest yet encouraging way of providing feedback. Balance is essential in this process because I don't want to sugarcoat my review or make it cruel. Focusing solely on the pros or cons of a piece is just not fair for the writer.

What book or author would you like to recommend to the Write the World community?
I would recommend the Goddess War trilogy by Kendare Blake. Since it is a fascinating retelling of Greek Mythology by an author skillfully exploring new narratives based on old tales, it will surely inspire young writers to experiment with their stories.
New call-to-action


Share this post: