Skip to content
Back to Blog

Gender Equality Op-Ed Competition Winners Announced 2022

In a time when gender inequality, injustices, and violence are center stage in many countries around the world, we find hope in the courageous voices at Write the World who are speaking up for change. The strongest op-eds draw from multiple sources of evidence—facts and statistics, anecdotes, expert opinion, and personal experience—to weave a compelling narrative and call to action. Thank you, dear writers, for sharing your stories.

Read on to hear guest judge Vee Kativhu’s top picks and commentary, as well as a list of finalists. 

image

WINNERS

Winner: Liberated from Pajeon by Maya Zankowski (US)

This op-ed was incredible: clear and direct, with beautiful flow and rhythm. The writer’s choice to begin with a scene planted the reader right in the grandmother’s perspective, which was a powerful way to highlight the central issue of the op-ed. The turn in paragraph six, where the author reveals she is the great-grandchild of Soo-Nyu, was highly effective, further cementing the reader’s investment. I was moved—and angered—by the repetition of injustices that continue to be met with silence. Her story made me think of my grandmother and the things she, too, went through. The factual nature of the op-ed’s second half struck an outstanding balance of sharing the author’s thoughts and drawing on recent news themes, helping to wake the reader up to a story that deserves attention. Regardless of whether readers knew the facts in the op-ed beforehand, the narrative draws them in and engages their interest. Altogether, this demonstrates the power of excellent penmanship.  

Runner up: The Breeze In My Hair On A Motorcycle by Muska Ehsan (Afghanistan)

This work exudes courage, clarity of self, and the signs of a leader. More often than not, when things such as gender-based violence, gender inequality, harassment etc., are happening, people tend to either separate themselves from it or think of it as belonging to another time and place. However, in this piece, the writer does not allow us to escape. By providing a date and time, and sensory descriptions such as sound, the author ensures we feel connected to her experience, such as the moment when her mom shouted, “HIDE YOUR GUITAR, HIDE YOUR PAINTINGS! They have come.” With one line, we understand the severity of the situation—a girl wanting to play the guitar had become a crime overnight. 

Another powerful line in this body of work that is still playing on my mind is: “I was utterly broken when I found out the Taliban banned girls from going to school. It was unacceptable, indigestible, and inexcusable. With time it even hurt deeper that the world went quiet about it.” This reflection shows the layers of hurt experienced by the writer: Not only was there grave mistreatment and crimes against humanity committed against girls and women in Afghanistan, but the world’s silence was also a devastating blow, a reminder of the racism that exists around the world.

Best Peer Review: Cracks in the Glass Ceiling, reviewed by Somni Moonlight (US)

This peer review was terrific to read! We can all learn from its encouragement of the author. The reviewer acknowledged the hard work of their peer, while also providing a suggestion for an area of improvement. Even though the review is mostly praise, every positive comment is backed up with evidence and justification. You can tell that the reviewer read the work carefully, engaged with it fully, and gave the advice they truly believed. As reviewers of one another’s work, we must acknowledge where something is well done and not shy away from providing high praise where it’s due—something that this peer reviewer models brilliantly.

SPECIAL COMMENDATION

Gabbing About Equality by psinger (US)

I loved the use of colloquial language in this op-ed, which made me feel connected to the time and place this piece was written: 2022. I particularly enjoyed the writer’s examination of the word ‘uncontrollably.’ This section shows the writer’s disapproval and educates the reader about the use and structure of words—all while discussing the piece of literature in question. Throughout the op-ed, the words flow effortlessly, making for an engaging and informative read. 

FINALISTS

Forecast by timtam.9 (Australia)

Subversive Authenticity by Spree (US)

The Gender Dynamics of the Ukranian War by Baywriter66 (US)

PEER REVIEW FINALISTS

A Step Likewise reviewed by Extrasweet (US)

One Little Word reviewed by The Song of a Thousand Girls (Australia)

Thank you again to everyone who entered, and congratulations to all our winners! 



Share this post: