Skip to content
Back to Blog

Writing Tips from the Winners of our Sci-Fi & Fantasy Competition!

“Sci-fi and fantasy speculate on alternative ways of life, drawing readers into an entirely different universe,” says Grace, winner of Best Peer Review in our Sci-Fi & Fantasy Writing Competition 2023. “Not only do we get a peek into a compelling story that incorporates various supernatural forces, but we also get to learn and play by the fantastical boundaries the author has built.”

Read on to learn more about the winners and their advice for writing and reviewing this unique genre!

Dana Choi, Winner:

 

How did you develop the concept for your winning piece?

I originally wrote this piece in middle school during English class as part of a much longer narrative with a fuller plotline. To change it so it fit the requirements for this specific competition, I removed certain sections and modified it so it read as a short, open-ended piece that could stand alone.

Guest Judge Tomi Adeyemi was impressed with the "scope" of ideas and plot that you managed to pack into your short story. Do you have any tips for other writers on how to write within a limited word count?

To write within a limited word count but still include a wide range of elements in your story, just focus on one or two elements as the main motifs of the narrative and go into limited detail on whatever other elements you'd still like to include. Sometimes, a sentence or a brief mention is enough to reference a certain element, motif, or concept. 

If you could meet any writer, who would you choose and why?

lf I could meet any writer, I would choose to meet Neil Gaiman because he is my favorite author. My favorite books of his include American Gods and Neverwhere, and both serve as big inspirations to me in terms of writing style and plot. I've also heard he's a very pleasant person outside of his writing.

Grace, Best Peer Review:

How does reviewing a sci-fi or fantasy piece differ from reviewing other genres?

Reviewing sci-fi and fantasy is quite a different experience in comparison to other genres. Sci-fi and fantasy speculate on alternative ways of life, drawing readers into an entirely different universe. Not only do we get a peek into a compelling story that incorporates various supernatural forces, but we also get to learn and play by the fantastical boundaries the author has built.

Our Guest Judge praised the "specific and poignant" suggestions in your winning peer review, which helped the writer know exactly what they could improve on. What is your process for giving feedback on another writer's work?

When giving feedback to peers, I begin by reading their piece thoroughly a couple of times. Throughout this process, I focus on identifying the piece's strengths and providing specific, line-by-line suggestions. Then, as I familiarize myself with the plot, the characters, and the author's writing style, I can begin to offer praise and constructive criticism - as well as their next steps to revision. To establish a personal connection with the writer, I ask myself, If I was the writer, what feedback would I like to receive? I think this really helps to narrow my review down to be actionable, crisp, concise, and most importantly, encouraging!

What book would you like to recommend to the WtW community, and why?

I would like to recommend The Book That Wouldn't Burn by Mark Lawrence. It's a fusion of fantasy and sci-fi with a gripping plot filled with magical spins and a distinctive storyline.



Share this post: