Skip to content
Back to Blog

Writing for Children Competition 2020 Winners Announced

Most of us can remember, without hesitation, our favorite children’s books—the ones we begged to have read to us over and over again. To help us kick off the New Year, we decided to honor the storybook tradition with our Writing for Children Competition. There was such a range of wonderful stories—from heartfelt and touching tales to the  laugh-out-loud funny. Today we’re pleased to announce the pieces which caught the eye of award-winning author, illustrator, and Guest Judge Kathryn Otoshi, earning the prizes for Best Entry, Runner Up, and Best Peer Review.

image

From Kathryn:

BEST ENTRY
“The City in the Sky” by Farah713 (UK)

It was a pleasure to read “The City in the Sky.” It is a sophisticated story, simply told, with lyrical phrases that roll off the tongue. 

So when Jai goes to bed 

by his wide, wide window 

he closes his eyes. 

Tight. 

And he dreams… 

and he thinks… 

and he wishes 

with the whole of his heart 

to stay in his home with his friends. 

The author’s notes to the illustrator are clear, yet open enough to allow an illustrator to paint their own vision of what a Moon Path could be, as well as the dreamy imagery surrounding it.

I feel this story of uprooting and moving away from home and all that is familiar to us, is something both kids and adults can relate to. Migrating to a new place; making new friends in a new school or the fear of trying something unknown—are all certainly challenges that everyone must face at some point in their lives. But while it might seem overwhelming at first, the poetic message of “The City in the Sky” is that over time, as we open ourselves to how life evolves, new doors can open and meaningful connections can be made, as we redefine in our hearts what we consider ‘home’ to be.

 

RUNNER UP
“We Need a Dog” by Donaldson (UK)

image

A humorous narrative about a child who pleads to his parents for a new best friend: a dog. The entire story is told in a rhyming style, with main character proclaiming right up front that he wants a buddy that will stand by him through “thick and thin.” All the pros of having a dog are playfully proposed by the child, while the parents counter each pro with the con.The main character is always quipped and ready for their protests, and sometimes even preempts potential protests with remedies already on hand:

I’ll also tell him not to leave too many hairs - 

So, mum, you don’t have to worry when you’re vacuuming the stairs - 

And, dad, you’ll like him in the end, I swear, 

I’ll even train him not to steal your chair! 

Any dog will do, it won’t be tricky, 

Old or young, I’m not that picky 

And if you get me a dog, I know, 

That we’ll all love him, and we’ll give him a home. 

image

A fun read-aloud story that is relatable to young readers and families. After all, who hasn’t asked for a pet growing up?


BEST REVIEW
timtam.9’s (Australia) review of “Lost?” by  The Campbell’s Kid

I found the review for the story “Lost?” to be thoughtful and constructive.

Overall I agreed with the general feedback, but mostly with how the overall flow could potentially get lost with the page turn. “You can still run your ideas but using multiple lines on a page rather than multiple pages.” The lines in this story do run short. So changing the pacing in crucial areas could prove more impactful. Lastly, I appreciate how the reviewer makes suggestions, encourages revisions, uses the word “consider” in their feedback, and whole-heartedly compliments in areas of the story they truly enjoyed.

 
SPECIAL CALL OUTS

From Kathryn:

Two stories deserve special recognition:

“Once the World Was”  by Amalia (UK) for the author’s original story concept.

And to the author of “Freddy the Puppy” (Charisse Marison, US) for tackling a very challenging subject matter in a children’s picture book. 

Keep working on your craft, your passion, and love for words and writing!

From the WtW Team:

“Rose” by Tran Ngomai (US)

“Hallie and the Big Blue Sea” By NiLa (India)



Share this post: