Skip to content
Back to Blog

Tips for Writing Fiction Based on Real Life

One of the most exciting parts of being a writer is stepping outside yourself; you can muse about life from the perspective of a house cat , slip into the skin of a historical figure, or delve into the day of a child in Chile or an old man in Mumbai. But, even if you’re writing about a fiery dragon on a distant planet, your words will only truly come to life if they’re grounded in authentic emotions and experiences. And to do that you need to turn back to, well, you—your memories, your feelings, your thoughts. Essentially, your expert knowledge of what it means to be alive. 

But drawing from your own experience doesn’t always come naturally. So we’ve rounded up tips from our previous guest judges and competition winners to help you infuse your writing with YOU.

image

Know You Are Enough

If you think you haven’t experienced anything significant or noteworthy enough to draw from when writing, think again. Just by being you, you’ve experienced plenty. As Novel Writing Competition judge and YA author Rebecca Denton says, “Your story isn’t boring. I think we look at our own lives and surroundings and think ‘this isn’t interesting to anyone, it’s so dull'—but the truth is, the way you live, your weather, your house, what you eat, how you get to school or university, what your friends do for fun—all of that paints a magical backdrop for someone who isn’t where you are. And isn’t you!” 
 

Imagine a Friendly Audience

The idea of putting your own emotions and experience on the page, even if it’s in the guise of a character who on the surface is nothing like you, can be a scary one. Claudia L, winner of our Human Connections Essay Competition, has a great solution for combatting these fears: “It can be hard to write something personal. In general, it’s difficult to feel vulnerable. Simply writing without having an audience in mind, at first, can be helpful. For example, imagining that you are talking to a friend can make it feel easier to write.”
 

Start Journaling

Study your own reactions and emotions by starting a journaling practice. Not only is it a great way to take note of how you authentically think and feel, but it can help you brainstorm new writing ideas. As Write the World alum Sarah Feng says, “I keep a diary, and it helps me vocalize my emotions every day. Sometimes my daily memoirs turn into creative pieces.”
 

Follow Your Heart

Let love be your guide! By writing about what you love, your work will come alive. As Rolling Stone co-founding editor and WtW blogger Michael Lydon says, “I think of people, places, and things that I love, and I consciously try to think and feel why I love them. Love is the world’s greatest motivator, so, year after year, the best and most creative work comes from writers who love their subjects, their characters, the places they describe.”

image

Maybe you’ve never scaled Mount Everest or befriended a mermaid—but you have experienced fear, wonder, loyalty, joy, and everything in between. And finding a way to access and infuse your writing with those emotions, whether through the tips above or your own methods, is key to vibrant writing that comes alive for your readers!

cta-subscribe


Share this post: