Skip to content
Back to Blog

Songwriting Competition 2023 Winners Announced

From the struggle for identity in adolescence, to the dangers of overlooking climate change, the issues explored by the winners and finalists of our Songwriting Competition demonstrated how music can be a catalyst for change. As Guest Judge Chadwick Stokes remarked, selecting the winners was “a tough call – there are some amazing writers here!”. 

Read on to discover the winning pieces, along with his commentary!

image

WINNERS

Best Lyrics: chameleon by mayla (US)

My top lyrical piece is “chameleon” by Mayla. I found her lyrics vivid, probing, and discernible.  She does a great job of transporting the reader/listener. The personification in the first verse sets a great tone of the “feelings” being taught to swim. I also love the girl being a beast and then shrinking “as a child would.” Two other bits that spoke to me: the “snowbird frame in transit” and striking “a match and fall asleep.” Both are unique and powerful, displaying multilayers of insightfulness. 

Best Performance: Flowers by Zina Parker (US)

“Flowers” by Zina Parker is a great combo of all things coming together just right: the lyrics, the melody, and the singing/playing. All of these components together create a piece greater than the sum of its parts in a seamless demonstration. Zina is embedded in the song, singing through it and in it. I love how the melody dips and soars in a unique way (with just a hint of the Strokes’ Julian Casablancas). I think a song is special when the listener wants to hear it again immediately. P.S. My kids think the song should be called “Downfall” :)  

Runner-Up for Lyrics & Performance: Unremarkable by EmmeH

Love it!

Best Peer Review: Nothing Left to Say, reviewed by Emmi_B (US)

Emmi B’s review was both spot-on and thoughtful. She critiqued nicely and pointedly while offering much enthusiasm and encouragement. Her assessment touched on detailed aspects of the writer’s grammar as well as the uniqueness of their rhymes. She struck a nice balance between encouragement and suggestions for improvement. I really appreciate the time put into the review. Well done. 

Runner-Up for Peer Review: The good that we can do, reviewed by Extrasweet (US)

FINALISTS

Just As Young by Bradley Wilson

Burn by Kate Chun

Lady by Ava Cormier

This Is Proof I’ve Read Krakauer (Feral Hogs) by Casey_

Everything and More by Maya Faulstich

Beans on a Sunday Evening by Andy Versonti

Thank you to everyone who entered, and congratulations to the winners and finalists! 



Share this post: