Skip to content
Back to Blog

Sci-Fi & Fantasy Writing Competition 2023 Winners Announced!

In our Sci-Fi & Fantasy Writing Competition, young writers transported us to new worlds and created magical and exciting characters. "I was so delighted by all the talent, imagination, and writing prowess in these entries," said award-winning author and Guest Judge Tomi Adeyemi. "Each of them had something that made me so proud as a writer."

Discover the winners and finalists below, along with her glowing commentary!

WINNER:
‘A Letter from Vitality Ghost’ by dxnachoi (US)

Read dxnachoi’s winning entry, or log in/sign up to read the piece on our site (for writers aged 13-19)!

Dxnachoi! I am blown away by the imagination, scope, and premise that you managed to pack into this short story! You took on such a profound concept in a uniquely specific way, and the more I read of your story, the more you drew me in. I’m so impressed by the humanity you managed to give your automaton and your God narrator while keeping the distance and integrity of their non-human point-of-view. And the final line!? I loved it. You are an incredible talent with a unique perspective. Please do not stop writing! I’m very proud of you!

RUNNER-UP:
‘On Tattoos & Sibling Bonds’ by WorldsWithinMyHands (UK)

Read WorldsWithinMyHands’s entry, or login/sign up to read the piece on our site (for writers aged 13-19)!

WorldsWithinMyHands, your story touched my heart! You have a profound talent for creating characters and dynamics that the reader gets invested in quickly. I got so pulled into Yuko’s and Brava’s story, and in such a short span, you made me feel their grief and their loss. You also have a wonderful knack for intertwining thoughtful worldbuilding within your scenes. I loved how you taught us about how this society uses tattoos to mark their grief while keeping the action and the character of the story going. You are truly wonderful, and I can’t wait to read more!

PEER REVIEW WINNER:
Review of ‘Death for a Death’ by brokenwings (Canada)

Log in/sign up to see the winning peer review on our site (for writers aged 13-19)!

I selected this peer review because I found the supportive comments and the suggested edits to be especially sophisticated. Brokenwings didn't just let Olivia know that they were enjoying her piece; they let her know exactly which parts they resonated with. Feedback like this allows the writer to know exactly what they are doing well, what their strengths are, and what they can build on throughout the story (and their entire writing careers!). The suggested changes were specific and poignant, and touched on proper writing practice, such as not switching narration POVs when you start in an omniscient POV, or finessing a sentence to make it make more sense. This was a very strong peer review!

PIECE FINALISTS:

Log in/sign up to read the pieces on our site (for writers aged 13-19)!

The Sun Slayer’s Arrows’ by Arty (US)

Arty, you are an incredible writer. I am amazed at the mastery you already have over your craft and your eye for detail. Please keep writing! I think you have a bright future ahead of you!

Trail of Stardust’ by Emma Baldeh (US)

Emma, you hooked me immediately! As soon as your story started, I leaned into my laptop to follow Ariad’s daring escape, and you created the most beautiful backdrop of falling starlight and glowing plants. I love your imagination!

The Inexorable Weltschmerz of Algernon Judd’ by Felix Shinn (UK) 

Felix, you are a wonderfully talented writer. From the start of your story, you displayed a sharp command over your worldbuilding and created stark images through my imagination. I particularly loved your use of color. Please keep writing! I’m excited to see where this story goes!

TEMPEST MADE FLESH’ by GVM (Canada)

GVM! From the moment I read Europa’s name, I was so delighted and excited to dive into your story. I was so surprised by the final transformation she made and loved the cinematic ending you created. I’m very proud of you! Thank you for sharing your story with me!



Share this post: