Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet Food Writing Winner Audrey Wahking

Choosing the right topic is an essential ingredient to a successful piece of writing. The writer should be eager to explore their chosen topic, so that their enthusiasm is contagious to the reader. It’s also a good idea for the writer to choose a topic they are familiar with—in other words, to write about what they know—as this gives the work authenticity. Audrey Wahking’s (Singapore) process for writing her winning piece for our Food Writing Competition shows that she understands the important role topic plays—before she even started writing, she listed out and explored several potential subjects, ultimately deciding on the one that would best serve her interests, intentions and strengths. 

Read on to discover more about this process, her tips for balancing description with emotion, and her favorite food!

image

How did you decide which food experience from your life to write about?

I listed out several memories that related to food and chose my topic from that list. In the end, I chose to explore Chinese culture through making dumplings because it was the most open-ended topic. I could write about the relationship between generations and the Chinese upbringing through the eyes of a child while reflecting on the difficulties of growing up with two cultures. 

Guest judge Limahl Asmall said, “The language used to describe the author’s experience of Chinese culture through food is exemplary; at times making my mouth water, and at others gifting me intimate stories of familial and cultural bonds.” What are your tips for other writers looking to balance on-point description with deeper insights and emotions?

I find that drawing on personal experiences adds complexity and authenticity to my writing. For now, it’s easier to write from what I know; I would be hard pressed to write convincingly about Moroccan cuisine, for example! I began planning my piece by brainstorming memories and writing a rough draft. In that draft, I explored various paths I could take, which is where the different insights and emotions came from. So my tips for other writers are to find inspiration in their own life stories and to not be afraid to go on tangents, because you may write something that surprises you. I also recommend experimenting with blending description and reflection.

image

Did you look to any other pieces of writing or authors for guidance or inspiration when writing this piece?

As this was my first Write the World competition, I read the winning Food Writing Competition entries from the past two years to get a feel for formatting and style. I noted that one entry was an essay about food, and the other was more of a narrative or memoir centered around food. Since I enjoy writing stories more than arguments, I elected to go down the narrative route.   

What’s your favorite food?

Molten chocolate cake. On special occasions, my family bakes an extremely dense and dark chocolate cake using all the old chocolate in our fridge. Our secret is slightly undercooking the batter so the top tastes crusty and firm while the center stays wet and runny. Ultimate comfort for me is a slice of steaming chocolate cake straight from the oven, coupled with a glass of cold milk. Bliss.



Share this post: