Skip to content
Back to Blog

Journalism Competition 2024 Winners Announced!

Our Journalism Competition saw writers explore prevalent stories taking place in their own countries, from the struggles faced by international medics to the Hispanic community of Jackson Heights. Read the winning pieces and finalists below, along with Guest Judge Melinda Wenner Moyer’s insightful commentary.

Please note: Winning and finalist pieces on the site are now publicly viewable!

man-reading-newspaper-in-office-1

WINNER:
Invisible Doctors: How the Medical System Fails International Medical Graduates by Nausicaa Chu (United States)

This is a powerful and convincing piece covering an important and underreported issue. The lede is exceptional — I love the way the writer presented three brief but powerful anecdotes to illustrate the problem. The writer also has a fantastic billboard / nut graf and includes strong data (I especially appreciated the comparison of residency match rates for IMGs versus U.S. medical students). I appreciate that the writer included so many perspectives and sources as well as good quotes that drive various points home. I also love the point the writer made toward the end of the piece that the U.S. relies on IMGs as a safety net, yet does not provide IMGs with any kind of safety net. That was powerful. 

There are a few points that feel somewhat repetitive — I think that the writer could go through and make a few trims to make the piece a bit tighter. The piece would also benefit from comments from organizations responsible for managing residency matches or supporting medical graduates. Are they aware of this problem, and are they doing anything to address it? If not, or if the organizations decline to comment, that might make the arguments even more powerful.  

This was a fantastic and compelling piece of journalism. Bravo.

RUNNER-UP:
Home Away from Home: Minorities Welcomed by Hispanic Community by Kori Robinson (United States)

I absolutely loved this beautifully written piece about the lives of immigrants in Jackson Heights, Queens. It's a profile of two men but also a profile of the broader community, and it's a joy to read. 

I appreciate the descriptive details about the characters that pepper this piece — that Ali learned Spanish from Dora the Explorer, that he is called "The Turk," etc. The quotes are fantastic too, e.g. “The Hispanic women were pretty, it seemed like the sensible thing to do." I laughed at that! It's clear that the writer spent a lot of time with Ali and Mazar and asked detailed questions. The visual details, like the soccer jerseys on the walls, help to complete the picture. 

The writer also does a fantastic job weaving in broader data and historical facts about immigration in the U.S. and in Jackson Heights in particular. The writer seamlessly brings these details in. I'm impressed by the fluidity and maturity of the writing. 

If the writer decides to expand the piece, it might also be interesting to include the perspectives of some Hispanic residents. How do they feel about immigration in their community? Why are they so welcoming? I imagine they might have some interesting things to say on those questions, which could help to enrich the piece, too. 

This is a fantastic and heartwarming piece — well-reported and well-written. Kudos to the writer. 

BEST PEER REVIEW:
‘Philippines: Solving Never-Ending Traffic Today’ reviewed by Shukti Yeware (India)

This was a thoughtful and highly effective peer review. The reviewer did a fantastic job of balancing positive feedback with constructive suggestions, and I very much appreciated the examples provided throughout to help drive points home. For instance, instead of merely saying that the opening captured their attention, the reviewer explained why, highlighting specific phrases from the piece that were powerful. The reviewer also provided specific examples of what details in the piece could have been clearer and why, and I appreciated their suggestion that the writer add comments from urban planners or frustrated commuters, to help readers connect with the topic. I also agree with their recommendation to spend a bit more space exploring potential solutions. In addition to making great suggestions, the reviewer did an excellent job of communicating their feedback in a positive manner. 

PIECE FINALISTS:
Robotaxi is stealing our rice bowl: Autonomous taxis provoke heated discussion in China recently by Julian Zhu (China)

I very much enjoyed reading this important piece about the rise of robotaxi use in China and the many questions and concerns it raises. The piece is well-reported, pulling data and anecdotes from diverse sources. It highlights the many ways in which robotaxis incite angst and anxiety among the public in general, as well as among specific groups. The writer did a great job incorporating data and examples into the story to make it compelling and convincing. I appreciated some of the specific details, such as the fact that a robotaxi recently hit a pedestrian and that the cars don't always know how to operate in complicated traffic situations. 

I think the piece would be a lot stronger if the writer re-worked the lede. The first paragraph is confusing — I wasn't sure what the piece was going to be about until about the 5th paragraph. (The writer can't rely on the headline to do that work!) I'd suggest that the writer make it clear in the first two paragraphs that the piece focuses on the growing concerns people have about robotaxi use in China. I would also suggest that the writer define the word "robotaxi" in the first paragraph for those who may not be familiar with the term. 

This was an excellent and well-reported piece exploring a complicated issue. Well done. 

The Magic Fades: Disney’s Employee Compensation Controversy by Wenhao Fang (United States)

This is a powerful piece exploring an important and underreported issue. I love the way the writer deftly contrasted Disney's positive image with the dark reality its employees face. 

I would suggest moving up the broader statistics and data, such as that 75% of Disney employees reported not being able to afford basic living expenses, to appear right after the opening paragraph. This will help to convince readers that the problem is documented and widespread. Then the writer can use the interview with Paul, and the stories from the New York Times article, to bring life to those numbers. 

In articles like this, it's important to balance people's claims against what can be proven. Paul's claim, for instance, that Disney makes life hard for its employees so that they will quit before becoming eligible for raises, may well be true, but if there's no data to cite to back up this notion, then it's important to acknowledge that this is just Paul's opinion. It's also crucial for the writer to contact Disney for comment. Even if Disney declines, the writer can mention that they were contacted. The writer could, for instance, specifically ask Disney for their response to Paul's allegation and include that in the piece. 

I think this piece would be stronger with more original reporting — it draws heavily from the New York Times and Yahoo stories — but even so, I found it powerful and harrowing. I hope the writer continues to report on this issue!

From Mat to Page by No2Pencil (United States)

There's so much packed into this short and excellent piece. The lede is powerful (I loved "In an instant, his world spun off its axis—and set him on an unexpected path"), immediately sucking the reader in. It's chock full of relevant data and statistics without seeming overwhelming. I loved the journey that the writer took us on as Matthew suffered his concussion, made mistakes, learned from them, and then morphed into an activist. It's a wonderful story.

I did find that I craved more context and information about Matthew from the start — how old was he when he experienced his concussion and when he wrote his book? Where did he live? Why was his recovery so long (was it because he experienced second-impact syndrome when he kept wrestling)? Did his coach say or do anything when he got the concussion, or was he one of the many coaches who struggles to recognize symptoms? Where is Blue Butterfly Village? Reading the story, I found myself distracted by these questions. I know it can be hard to include such details when there is a strict word count, but it's important to address the key questions readers will have. 

I was very impressed by how well the writer weaved together narrative and science to both compel and inform the reader in this important and heartwarming piece. 

Blessings for a Price: Jackson Heights, NY by Ananya743 (United States)

I enjoyed this powerful piece digging into the exploitive practice of fortune telling in Jackson Heights. I especially love that the writer explored the phenomenon through the experience of visiting of one particular healer. The writer's description of Pandit Nandan's office is evocative — I loved the sensory details about its location, the smell of sandalwood, and the shiny red curtains. I could really imagine being there. I also appreciated the helpful statistics the writer provided, such as that there are an estimated 200 fortune-telling businesses across NYC. I'd have loved a bit more context and detail on the interaction between the writer and Nandan — did the writer tell Nandan why they were there, or ask for specific guidance? Having visited Nandan, the writer has become part of this story, and I yearn to learn a bit more about them.

I felt that the writer could have been clearer about their stance on the fortune-telling business. It came across as a little wishy-washy. The writer points out that the practice of fortune telling is illegal and describes Nandan's approaches as questionable, yet also claims that whether or not fortune telling works is subjective. Some people may believe it works, but there is no evidence to suggest that people can actually tell the future, and I think the writer could have been clearer on that. 

This was a thoughtful, compelling, and fascinating piece on an under-reported topic. Very well done!

PEER REVIEW FINALISTS:
‘INTERNET CUT OUT FOR 5 DAYS IN ALGERIA’ reviewed by andromeda. (United States)
‘Is it a Stretch to call Flexibility Uncommon?’ reviewed by Mahati V. (United States)

 



Share this post: