Skip to content
Back to Blog

Writing a Quality Op-Ed with Writer Bob Morris

Writing an opinion editorial, or op-ed, seems pretty straight forward. You simply sound off on a topic that’s important to you…right? Well, not quite. Op-eds, as our competition partners at JEA put it, “seek to inform and persuade.” As such, your piece should balance well researched information with a clear stance on the matter at hand. Today, Guest Judge Bob Morris–who has penned op-eds for the world-renowned New York Times—shares his tips for writing an engaging op-ed.

how to write an op-ed

What was your relationship to writing as a teenager? At what point did you decide to pursue writing as a career?

I loved theater and poetry when I was young. I only discovered journalism as an option when I moved to New York and met editors looking for ideas. That is always the way to get your foot in the door as a journalist—have an idea that is unique, well conceived and frequently personal so only you can write about it.

For our Op-Ed Competition, writers will need to conduct research on their topic prior to penning their piece. What advice do you have for tackling the initial stages of planning and research?

We all research online these days. There’s nothing wrong with Google, but better to go to LA Times, Washington Post and the New York Times for deeper ideas. Most will allow some free access. If not, you can have free access by using your library card and EBSCO, which is a compendium of periodicals. Editor’s note: Ask your local librarian for tips on how to access the best periodicals and online resources in your part of the world.

Professional writers, such as yourself, work closely with editors before a piece goes to print. What advice do you have for our young writers as they edit their final piece?

Get to the point after a sentence or two to set the scene or situation. Watch out for adverbs and passive verbs—they aren’t your friends. Cut all the fat and redundancy. Be ruthless.  

Do you have any favorite publications, or particular writers, who are producing quality op-eds?

The best writing, clearest and cleanest, is in the New Yorker. But for op-eds the New York Times is unbeatable. Krugman, Kristof in the New York Times are relentless. Brooks gives a more nuanced view for those who want to understand more conservative thinking. Also, I find the British newspapers have more entertaining conversational columnists.

What are you looking for in a winning op-ed entry?

Specificity, humor when possible, a less obvious and more counterintuitive take on an issue, a short anecdote or personal element to forward the argument.


For more information on how to pen a top-notch op-ed, be sure to check out this resource from our competition partners at the Journalism Education Association.



Share this post: