Skip to content
Back to Blog

Four Tips for Aspiring Freelance Writers

With all of the world-changing events that have occurred these past few years requiring our urgent attention, you might feel overwhelmed as to what to write about for our Op-Ed Competition. To help you decide on the right topic for you, our Guest Judge Rainesford Stauffer advises that instead of going big, “start small: what’s something you’ve experienced personally or talk to your friends about? Then, find the wider angle that gets at how important it is that we all know about this thing; why it’s so important that we change it.”

We were thrilled to talk to Rainesford about her career as a freelance writer, tips for addressing counter-arguments in your op-ed, and what she’s looking for in a winning entry. Read on to find out more!

tips for freelance writers

At just 28, you’ve built an impressive career as a freelance journalist, with op-eds, features, and personal narratives focused on issues affecting young adults published in everything from Teen Vogue to The Atlantic. What has your path looked like thus far, and what tips do you have for young writers hoping to follow in your footsteps? 

The short version is that I learned to pitch through trial and error—lots of googling, lots of figuring out what worked as I went, and of course, a lot of mistakes along the way! I was incredibly fortunate that, early in my writing career, I came across some very patient editors who took chances on me when they certainly didn’t have to. That was complete luck. Over time, I’ve tried to build a freelance career covering stories I feel truly curious about, and consider it a huge gift that people make time to share their stories, perspectives, expertise, and experiences with me. Having those conversations truly never gets old!

Editor’s Note: Rainesford had so much incredible advice that we have added a bonus resource to our Op-Ed Competition. Four Practical Tips for Aspiring Freelance Writers!

→ Check out our partner's post for even more freelance writing tips.

Which of your op-eds has had the most powerful impact on readers? What are some of the elements that contributed to its success, and how can young writers incorporate these elements into their own entries?

It’s hard to say—in terms of measuring impact, something I appreciate is when I hear from people who tell me they’ve had conversations about a given topic sparked by something I wrote, or that they are thinking differently about something because of what they read. (This is also my favorite part of reading op-eds: learning something new, seeing something in a new light, and getting to know part of someone’s story.) This year, I got to co-write two op-eds with Abdullah Shihipar, one for The New York Times about low vaccination rates in young people, and the other for Teen Vogue about paid leave. In addition to it being a total pleasure to get to co-write with such a great thinker, writer, and person, I loved the conversations I got to have as a result of those pieces.

On those in particular, what stands out to me is that they were timely—they related to something happening in the news or the scope of the world, and (hopefully!) introduced new elements into those conversations. I also think, in both instances, we used a lot of research to back-up our opinion and argument: we talked to people about their experiences, we interviewed experts, and we went through the data and research to really put the point we were trying to make in context. Both pieces have a voice and clear opinion, but they also have facts that back up that voice or perspective! To me, those are the elements that really jump out of great op-eds I read. 

For our Op-Ed Competition, we’re asking young writers to tell us what change they’d like to see in their community, country, or the world. How can participants go about choosing a topic that will lead to a strong and thought-provoking op-ed? 

What makes you curious? What excites or infuriates you? What can you not believe someone hasn’t written about already? I love opinion pieces that feel like they have personal stakes: You take this issue you noticed, thing you want to change, or experience that impacted you personally, and blow it up like a balloon to make an even bigger argument on how that change can impact others. It starts with what you’ve experienced and know in your bones. Rather than thinking big on a topic, I say start small: What’s something you’ve experienced personally or talk to your friends about? Then, find the wider angle that gets at how important it is that we all know about this thing; why it’s so important that we change it. What feels small and personal to you is what is going to make your argument compelling, especially when you back it up with research or your idea about what should be done differently. Just like I want to hear your voice in an opinion piece, I want to be able to feel why this topic matters so much to you. 

One of the keys to a good op-ed is addressing counter arguments and opposing positions. What are some of the ways that young writers can successfully do this? 

Op-eds have a unique ability to show what a better, more just world can look like, and for this reason I don’t believe in traditional definitions of “objectivity” and “neutrality” in writing. When approached that way, I think we risk causing harm and not actually telling the truth–when being neutral means giving airtime to defend policies, issues, systems, or people that perpetuate injustice, inequities, and harm, without interrogating how and why those injustices are persisting, who is benefiting from them, and who is causing them.

I think it goes back to the facts: What else has been said about the argument you’re making? What data and research exists, and where does it come from? Who benefits from it? When you’re thinking about the opposing view, also think about where that comes from! Where do you believe their thinking is incomplete? What points of view or facts does it leave out? That’s how you can introduce your counterarguments. 

What are you looking for in a winning op-ed entry? 

I’m looking for pieces where your passion and personal experience in a given area leap off the page! You are the expert of your lived experiences; your curiosity about the communities and world you live in creates tremendous opportunities to explore what the world you want to live in looks like, and how we get there. I love pieces with lots of research, but my favorite in opinion pieces is when that research is supported by a vivid voice. Don’t be afraid to draw the reader into your personal experience—into moments that felt formative or critical to you. As you make your argument and lay out the research, let us see you in there.



Share this post: