Skip to content
Back to Blog

How to Publish a Flash Fiction Collection

The world of flash fiction is wide and varied, and there are dozens of magazines that can publish your work. If you’re interested in publishing a collection, however, the landscape is a little different. While there are publications that release anthologies with various authors’ work, it’s rare to see a collection whose focus is the work of a single writer.

That’s not to say it can’t be done! If you’re interested in self-publishing a collection of your flash fiction, read on to find out how.

1. Assemble Your Flash Fiction

First things first, you’ll need to decide which stories you want to include. It may seem easy to gather your stories and arrange them chronologically by the date written, but the best literary collections tend to have a unifying theme. See which of your stories share commonalities and could work well when read one after another.

This method will likely cut down the number of stories you include. Consider writing some more to fit your new theme! You may even wish to write several stories featuring characters in the same “universe,” or even a few stories about the same event(s) from different perspectives. (Jennifer Egan’s A Visit from the Goon Squad is a great example of this kind of collection.)

With a combination of old and new work, you can interest readers who may already be familiar with you and bring in new fans in addition. Indeed, another way to come up with ideas for new stories could be to ask your friends and readers what they might like to read from you — especially as you’re putting out a book, this could be a good way to incentivize people to buy it.

publishing-flash-fiction-stories-ordering

 

2. Edit Your Stories

Once you’re set on what to include in your collection, it’s time to refine your writing through editing. And in flash fiction, every word matters, so you’ll want to make sure your stories are as polished and precise as possible!

If you're writing on Write the World, you can select "seeking peer review" when you publish your piece to let other writers know you're looking for feedback.

Another option is to ask an artificial intelligence tool like ChatGPT to proofread for errors or give more specific feedback. Here are some AI prompt examples to get started.

But that's not always enough. This is where hiring an editor can be a helpful option — especially if you can find one familiar with flash fiction. While it is an investment, many published authors use professional editors to improve not only their current work, but also develop their skills for their next set of stories.

There are many places online where you can find freelance editors and search specifically for flash fiction editors. I’m personally biased towards Reedsy, of course, but you can do your own research as there are many places to find freelance editors online. Consider your options and determine which editor(s) best fit your needs; the best way is to read the works that someone has edited and see whether you like the stories or not.

  • Seek peer reviews and feedback from other young writers
  • Use AI tools to get specific and immediate feedback
  • Hire a professional editor to take your writing to the next level

And remember, just because an editor (whether a peer, AI, or a paid professional) makes a suggestion, doesn’t mean you have to take it — after all, you understand your narrative goals better than anyone. Try to keep an open mind, though, as an experienced editor’s suggestions — whether related to structural issues like story order, or something more granular like the syntax of a sentence — could be the difference between a competent collection and an outstanding one.

Having edited your flash fiction, you’ll now be ready to work on the look of your collection.

 

3. Create a Cover and Format Your Book

With the writing done, it’s time to start thinking visually. First and foremost, that means an eye-catching book cover that reflects your collection’s contents.

In fact, the cover is just as much a part of marketing your book as taking out ads and getting reviews is. If you have some artistic talent of your own, you might try your hand at designing your own cover! But if you don’t, or if you want to make sure to get the artwork exactly right, a professional book cover designer can help you bring your vision to life — whether that means elaborate illustrations or a (thematically relevant) minimalist cover.

Keep in mind that, for those who don’t know your writing, your cover will be what grabs their attention and potentially convinces them to buy your book! So really, if you’re going to indulge in any one service for your collection, it should be cover design.

But don’t forget about the interior of your book either. Remember that there are specific formatting rules that books need to follow — both to be aesthetically pleasing and to be accepted by publishing platforms like Amazon KDP. Writing apps can help you lay out and typeset your collection. And if you need a little extra help, you can always hire an interior book designer, or even an interior illustrator if you want to make your pages a little more dynamic.

⚠️ Readers may judge your book by its cover!

 

4. Publish and Share

Now your book is ready to go out into the world! Luckily for modern authors, you can choose from plenty of different digital and print distribution options. Some of the most popular ones are Amazon KDP (as mentioned above) and IngramSpark. Upload your book to their platforms, set your prices, and voila: your collection is published and ready to be sold!

It’s rare to see self-published collections of flash fiction these days, so prepare yourself to do plenty of marketing to raise awareness and get those sales. Consider reaching out to other flash fiction authors for potential cross-promotion, or paying for ads on social media to target a specific audience.

  • Know your audience (Who would love your work? What are they interested in?)
  • Build your audience on social media (Share snippets, tips, and inspiration)
  • Cross-promote with similar authors (Share each others' works)
  • Let people know! (What makes your work different from everything else out there?)

Again, selling your flash fiction collection might take a good bit of effort on your part. But if you want to get your work out into the world, don’t be afraid to take a risk and go down the road less traveled. Best of luck!

steps-to-publish-flash-fiction-pinterest

 

About Daniella Zelikman
Daniella Zelikman is a writer with Reedsy, a marketplace and blog that helps authors with everything from learning how to write a book to finding the best creative writing classes and more.



Share this post: