Skip to content
Back to Blog

Q&A with Food Writing Guest Judge Jerrelle Guy

Writer Jerelle Guy came into the food blogging world in an interesting way. For most of Jerrelle’s life, she identified as both a writer—penning poems and short stories—as well as a painter. It was only when she attended art school that she decided to explore how she could combine her love of art and her love of food. As a result, her widely read vegetarian food blog, Chocolate for Basil, was born. We’re so excited to have Jerrelle share her secrets  on how to invite your reader to your table through words as well as the  outlets she turns to for epicurean inspiration.

image

How did your love of cooking and baking evolve into the creation of your blog and most recently, writing a cookbook?

I’ve always appreciated good food, but I didn’t start cooking until long after I was writing and painting—I wrote poetry, did spoken word, wrote short stories and songs in middle school and I painted and sketched as a little girl—these were my early forms of self-expression. My adolescent goal was to get accepted into an art college, but once I got there and started studying, I found myself exploring my relationship with food through my visual work. It wasn’t until after I graduated and started my blog, Chocolate for Basil, that my love for art, food, and words came together into one place.  

Your book, Black Girl Baking is currently available for purchase. Can you tell us a bit about the process for writing this book? Did you create the recipes first and then write about them or did the process of writing the book inform what types of foods you wanted to include?

I was definitely more focused on my memories for this project and made sure that the recipes were direct products of those moments and stories. I made sure to always refer back to my senses as they inspired the concept of the book and how the chapters were organized.  

image

What advice do you have for young writers who are new to writing about food?

You should be eating a lot and cooking a lot. And while you’re doing those things, allow yourself to get lost in the sensory experience and take notes so when you go back to your desk to put pen to paper, you’re able to recall all that you tasted, saw, smelled, felt, and heard. Then, describing the food will be easy and your readers will be brought right there to the table with you.

What are some of your favorite food media outlets?

I always have a lot of fun exploring pieces in Bon Appétit and Munchies. There’s a lot there to learn from and be inspired by. I’ve had a longtime crush on Lauren Nixon on Instagram. She’s unapologetic, real, and intentional about the way she eats, and that’s always refreshing to see.

What are you looking for in a winning entry?

Creativity, a strong or developing voice, and a passion for food.

cta-subscribe


Share this post: