Skip to content
Back to Blog

"A quick, thrilling journey": Flash Fiction Q&A with Guest Judge Jennifer Lewy

Writing a story in just 100 words offers an opportunity for unique and genre-breaking narratives. "Let your imagination run wild. Don't hold back. Embrace the joy of creating something uniquely yours," says Jennifer Lewy, Guest Judge for our Flash Fiction Competition. "In flash fiction, every word counts, so make bold choices."

We spoke with Jennifer Lewy about flash fiction, AI tools, and her unusual career path into becoming a writer - read it here!

Guest Judge Jennifer Lewy

You’ve worked as a social worker, voiceover artist, healthcare writer… and now you’re a published YA novelist! We’d love to hear about your path towards becoming a professional writer, and how your past experiences did (or didn’t) inform what you write about now. 

It's funny how life works. Every job I've had has somehow prepared me for writing novels. As a social worker, I learned to listen deeply and empathize. Voiceover work taught me the power of voice and dialogue. Healthcare writing sharpened my research skills and ability to explain complex topics. 

The common thread was always storytelling—helping clients reframe their narratives, bringing scripts to life through voice acting, and crafting compelling health content. Writing fiction allows me to weave together all these threads into rich, multidimensional stories.

My focus on technology and the future in my writing comes from my fascination with how rapidly our world is changing. Through my healthcare writing, I've seen firsthand how technology is reshaping our lives. In my novels, I love exploring these themes, imagining how today's innovations might transform our future world. It's fascinating to see how individual stories unfold during sweeping technological changes.

You’re working on a third book! How is the writing process going?

After completing two novels, you’d think the writing process would be smooth and straightforward. Nope! Somehow it's even more difficult now that I have a series underway, with a tangle of characters and subplots to remember. For this third book in the series, I beefed up my story codex (a document or notebook that holds all the details an author might need to reference, including character descriptions, key subplots, and the magic systems, ecosystems, history, etc of the invented world) so I can more easily reference a character’s eye color or other world-building details. Some days it feels like my characters and I are having a great time together. Other days they’re yelling at me because I can’t get a scene right.

From your perspective as a novelist, how can flash fiction address the same subjects and themes as longer works of fiction? And does short-form writing require similar skills as those needed for novel writing?

Flash fiction is like a concentrated burst of storytelling energy. It packs all the elements of longer narratives—characters, world-building, and themes—into a tiny, powerful package. 

Short-form fiction has sharpened my own novel-writing skills. It's taught me to be more precise with language, find the heart of a scene quickly, and make sure every sentence earns its keep. Does it move the plot? Crank up tension? Echo the theme? If not, it's out!

Both novels and flash fiction can tackle significant ideas, but flash fiction is like capturing a story’s essence in a single, electric moment. In both forms, the key is to transport readers to another world, make them care about your characters, and leave them thinking and feeling long after they’ve finished the story. 

You’ve spoken about how you use AI tools to help you brainstorm as you write. We don’t allow our writers to include any AI-generated content in their competition submissions, but they can use AI tools for inspiration. Do you have any suggestions for how to use those tools effectively, while preserving their creative integrity? 

AI tools can be fantastic for brainstorming and overcoming writer's block, but it's crucial to use them as a springboard for your own creativity, not a replacement for it. Here are a few tips:

  1. Ask AI for ideas. Brainstorm plot twists, character backstories, or setting details, then build on these ideas with your own imagination.
  2. Use AI to research historical or scientific details, then verify and expand on them yourself.
  3. Talk to AI about the challenges you have as you write, like "What are different ways to show this character’s loneliness?" or "How can I make this setting seem more real?” Use the AI's suggestions as a starting point for your own exploration.
  4. Practice. Learn to ask specific questions to get more useful responses. 
  5. Always filter AI suggestions through your unique voice and vision. The goal is to enhance your creativity, not replace it.

Consider AI your brainstorming buddy. It throws out ideas, but you decide which ones make the cut. Your experiences, emotions, and unique perspective are what make your writing special. Use AI to spark ideas but let your own creativity shine through in the final draft.

What are you looking for in a winning entry? Any other advice for the writers, especially those who are new to flash fiction?

In a winning entry, I'm looking for a story that surprises and moves me. Let your imagination run wild. Don't hold back. Embrace the joy of creating something uniquely yours. In flash fiction, every word counts, so make bold choices. Start in the middle of the action, use vivid details, and end with a punch.

Remember, the first draft is for you. Let your creativity flow. Then comes the fun part: editing. Trim the excess, sharpen your language, and make every word earn its place.

Most importantly, enjoy the process. Writing is an adventure, and flash fiction is your chance to take readers on a quick, thrilling journey. Have fun with it!

About the Guest Judge: Jennifer Lewy writes about the intersection between humans, our planet, and technology. Her debut novel, The One Game, won first place in the Firebird Book Awards for YA Science Fiction. Its sequel, The One Exiled, was published in 2023. Before opening her freelance healthcare writing business in 2005, Jennifer worked as a medical assistant, social worker, and voiceover artist. Born in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and raised in New York City suburbs, she now lives in New England with her husband, two teens, and two cats. She is currently working on her next book.

 



Share this post: