Skip to content
Back to Blog

Catching Up with Write the World Alumni: Xin Yi Yap

During her time on the site, Xin Yi Yap (Singapore) uplifted the Write the World community with her hopeful poems and prose. Here, she tells us what she’s up to now and gives us her train-themed tip for finding the writing flow.

image

What is something you learned from Write the World that you still use in your writing today?

I learned not to be shy about getting others to read my work. I used to be worried about people judging it, but the community was so wonderfully receptive; Write the World members show appreciation for your work with much enthusiasm and kindness. There’s nothing wrong with getting your voice out there—eventually, you’ll find your voice and an audience that appreciates it. Plus, an outside perspective can add to your work in a way you’d never think of otherwise.

What have you been writing recently?

Poems! Beautiful imagery and poetic lines still captivate me (and I think they always will) so I’m keeping at it. I’m also reminding myself to experiment a little more with writing because there are so many styles to discover—who knows if you’ll find a cool new form of writing to work with? Who knows if those new forms will bring you to another level of writing?

What are some of the other things that you do apart from writing? How do you find time for writing when you’re busy?

I’m currently pursuing my undergraduate studies, so I’m definitely busy studying! I carve out time in the weeks I’m less busy and write to unwind for an hour or two. It also helps that I’m minoring in creative writing, so I’m able to write for class.

Have you ever experienced writer’s block, or times when you aren’t able to write for fun? What do you do to return to writing?

I take a break! As dull as that sounds, I admit to myself that I’d rather write in a more relaxed state of mind and wait for inspiration. When I do want to get back to writing, however, I find myself a quiet space (uninterrupted, disconnected, without distraction) where I can hear myself think and let my mind wander. Also, I find that going back to what inspires me also helps relax my mind to a state where I’m comfortable playing with ideas or exploring my memories.

Do you have a particular time and place when you write?

When I know that I’ll be making a long train journey I’ll bring a notebook and pen along. Ideas sometimes strike when I people-watch, stare out of the windows, or daydream. It’s a convenient time to disconnect for a little while because I get pretty distracted on my phone! I also often write at night because that’s when the whole world feels like it’s asleep. It’s just me and my thoughts, and that’s comforting sometimes.

New call-to-action


Share this post: