Skip to content
Back to Blog

Creative Nonfiction Ideas with Constance Singam

Around the world, December means different things to different people; people from different faiths, from different climates, and with different frames of mind, will all end the year on their own unique note. In Singapore, where our guest judge Constance Singam is from, some folks partake in religious celebrations such as Christmas and Deepavali—the Hindu festival of light—while others use this time to connect with friends and family. Today, the award winning author and activist reflects on December in her home country and shares her tips on how to engage readers through the art of creative nonfiction.

creative nonfiction ideas

[photo via Straits Times]

For our My December Competition, we’re asking students to write a piece of creative nonfiction about the final month of the year in their part of the world and the traditions that make this month special. What are some of the things that make December special for you?

Singapore is a multicultural society so we celebrate across the different ethnic groups. Christmas in Singapore is not just celebrated by Christians, but also by non-Christians, in a secular way. So that goodwill feeling, the sense of excitement of Christmas is multiplied. For someone who’s lived a long time, it’s a time of memories of past celebrations, of traditions, of getting together with family and friends, and those who aren’t around any more.

Like the other festivals in Singapore, like the festival of Deepavali—the Hindu festival of light—which is also celebrated in Singapore (usually in October or November each year), we are t celebrating the triumph of good over evil, light over darkness. And you remember what family means, what the birth of Christ means, peace. I believe in the power of multitudes thinking the same thing, and at Christmas, millions and millions of people are thinking of love, joy, peace, so it does inspire.

Your two memoirs, Where I was: A Memoir from the Margins and Never Leave Home Without Your Chilli Sauce, expertly demonstrate the effectiveness of using creative nonfiction in storytelling. What advice do you have for students who have never written a piece of creative nonfiction or a personal essay?

I think everyone should write. Even if it’s not for publication, you write for yourself, especially if it’s a memoir. We write also because we feel the need to tell alternative tales and stories of lives. You have a special story to tell. That is one reason.

Another reason is that when you’re writing, you’re more reflective; you think more deeply and understand yourself better. When you write and rewrite and think about why you are rewriting, the process itself develops you. You’re learning about yourself.

As a reader, stories are wonderful ways of learning about other cultures. If not for the stories that have been written over the centuries, how would we know what life was like? It’s also a historical record of what this time and life was like in Singapore.

So just write it. It doesn’t have to be very many words. When you write about your own life, you are leaving a record of your life and you’re teaching the next generation the values of your own life, the struggles you had.

One thing I regretted when I was writing my memoir was never having talked to my parents about what their lives were like in India, before they migrated to Singapore. My parents never talked about their lives. It wasn’t just my parents, it was of that generation. I have no idea what kind of childhood they had, their education. So it’s important to know what our parents’ lives were like, what makes them who they are. It’s important because it helps us understand better who we are.  

We encourage all of our writers to either submit their piece to us in advance to have it reviewed by an expert, or to publish a draft on our website to have it reviewed by a fellow writer. What are some of the benefits of getting a second set of eyes on your work?

A friend of mine read the manuscript for my first memoir. A common mistake for us writers is we tend to get lost in the story and forget the reader. You’ll need a second pair of eyes to see how a reader reads the story, to check for coherence, and the writing skills themselves. It’s important to have the reader so you can find out how the reader reads the story. Is it easy to read? Easy to follow? Humorous? Every reader brings their own experiences to the reading process. Also, sometimes, you can get stuck in your story. And after your reader has read it, by talking about it, that can clarify your mind. All these things are important for the process of writing.

Also, receiving good comments from an initial reader is very encouraging and inspiring!

image

What are you looking for in a winning “My December” entry?

I’d be interested to read what this season means for a young person. Of course, not everyone celebrates Christmas, but often Christmas is celebration of family and friends. Some of that feeling–the joy, passion and excitement.

And for those who don’t celebrate Christmas,  what does December  mean for them? How do they view this time? December is also the end of the year. It’s a time for reflection as well, especially the last week of December. What was our year like? It’s a time when many of us are looking forward to the new year. What kind of goals do we want and did we accomplish the goals we set for ourselves this year?

You have made tremendous contributions to Singaporean society through your work as an activist. What advice do you have for our young writers who  want to make positive change in their own communities?

Be active citizens. If we want to change the situation in our country, neighborhood, village or community, we can’t sit back and criticize. I believe that whatever change you want to see, you have to make it yourself. Thinking and writing are some ways to do this too. Your words can inspire someone to make a change.

Start with something you’re familiar with. Eleanor Roosevelt said, “do one thing every day that scares you”. It could be saying hello to a stranger, or standing up to give up your seat on the bus. You begin with the small things. You might be young and intimidated, but feeling intimidated and fearful isn’t just a youth’s problem. It’s a problem all of us are affected by. All of us can feel intimidated and fearful, including myself. For instance, I was afraid of public speaking. Now, I’m used to public speaking and I’m used to feeling nervous before public speaking. You can’t wait to become confident and empowered to become an activist. You become confident and empowered when you are active. That’s the first lesson I learned. It’s like learning how to swim. You have to get into the water to swim.



Share this post: