Skip to content
Back to Blog

Write the World’s Favorite Scary Creatures

Some of the scariest beings from literature are imaginary – and yet the author has written about them with such careful attention to detail that the creatures come alive off the page. Here are a few of our favorite scary characters, which have lingered in our imaginations like real-life memories.

three-ghosts-in-the-woods

Smaug
The Hobbit, J.R.R Tolkien

"… rising from the near side of the rocky floor there is a great glow. The glow of Smaug! There he lay, a vast red-golden dragon, fast asleep; a thrumming came from his jaws and nostrils, and wisps of smoke, but his fires were low in slumber. Beneath him, under all his limbs and his huge coiled tail, and about him on all sides stretching away across the unseen floors, lay countless piles of precious things, gold wrought and un-wrought, gems and jewels, and silver red-stained in the ruddy light. Smaug lay, with wings folded like an immeasurable bat, turned partly on one side, so that the hobbit could see his underparts and his long pale belly crusted with gems and fragments of gold from his long lying on his costly bed."

Dementors
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, J.K. Rowling

"Dementors are among the foulest creatures that walk this earth. They infest the darkest, filthiest places, they glory in decay and despair, they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them. Even Muggles feel their presence, though they can’t see them. Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. If it can, the Dementor will feed on you long enough to reduce you to something like itself — soul-less and evil. You’ll be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life."

Frankenstein’s Monster
Frankenstein, Mary Shelley

"His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips."

Giant Squid
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne 

"It was a giant squid twenty-five feet long. It was heading toward the Nautilus, swimming backward very fast.... We could clearly make out the 250 suckers lining the inside of its tentacles, some of which fastened onto the glass panel of the lounge. The monster's mouth--a horny beak like that of a parakeet--opened and closed vertically.... What a whim of nature! A bird's beak in a mollusk!"

The Gruffalo
The Gruffalo, Julia Donaldson

"The gruffalo is a creature with terrible claws, and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws. He has knobbly knees, and turned-out toes, and a poisonous wart at the end of his nose. His eyes are orange, his tongue is black, he has purple prickles all over his back."

The Beldam (“The Other Mother”)
Coraline, Neil Gaiman

"She looked a little like Coraline's mother. Only… Only her skin was white as paper. Only she was taller and thinner. Only her fingers were too long, and they never stopped moving, and her dark red fingernails were curved and sharp."



Share this post: