Skip to content
Back to Blog

Tips for Writing Personal Narrative Essays and Peer Reviewing, from our Creative Nonfiction Competition Winners

The challenge of creative nonfiction is telling a genuine (and often deeply personal) story through a narrative lens. “I approached this essay similar to how you would approach a movie – scene by scene, capturing a couple moments, and then filling in the details later,” says Nausicaa Chu, winner of our Creative Nonfiction Competition. “I didn’t want my readers to see from my own eyes so much as see the whole picture along with me.”

Read on to learn more about the winners and how they approached writing and reviewing in this genre!

Nausicaa Chu, Winner:

How did you choose what to focus on in your winning piece?

Choosing something to focus on was definitely one of the hardest parts of writing the piece – there’s so many elements and experiences in every life, it’s difficult to zero in on just one or two. But at the end of the day, when I thought about what had shaped my identity the most, it was the Supper Club (it also helped that while I was brainstorming, my dad was wrangling a duck into the refrigerator for the Supper Club’s upcoming Peking Duck Competition).

This community of Asian-Americans in Alabama has been a big family I’ve grown up with for a long while, and when I thought about it, I realized that nothing marked my passage through my teenage years so definitively as this Supper Club. People say you’re a product of your environment – and that is, I feel, exactly my experience with the Club.

Guest Judge Sy Montgomery commended how your essay "looked at your own family as would a stranger." How did you achieve this narrative distance while discussing your own life and experiences?

I approached this essay similar to how you would approach a movie – scene by scene, capturing a couple moments, and then filling in the details later. I didn’t want my readers to see from my own eyes so much as see the whole picture along with me, or feel my own emotion so much as feel the joys and sorrows that come with being part of the Supper Club. I took a lot of inspiration from the creative nonfiction exemplars in this respect!

What is one book or piece of writing that you'd love to recommend to the Write the World community?

I’d love to recommend Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu. The sense of Asian community and the values its characters hold were actually a huge inspiration for this piece. It’s written like a screenplay and in second person, which allows for a lot of amusing interplay and dialogue between characters. Interior Chinatown is a witty, funny, and beautifully written read I would definitely recommend to the WtW community!

Iffah Shamim, Best Peer Review:

What is the first thing you do when writing a peer review?

I read the piece carefully. Sometimes obvious strengths and weaknesses stick out to me, but if not, I read over it again and again. The important thing is to be objective whilst reading a piece you're going to review, because you can't have biases colouring your feedback: it's better to consider the writer's intentions if they've written something that you don't understand at first just because it's not the way you’d do it. I think we often forget that everyone has their own unique style! I also ensure that I've praised as well as suggested feedback for improvement; it can be hard to balance between the two, but it is as crucial to point out the weaknesses as it is to point out the strengths. Of course I try to be constructive, so I try to explain my reasons why the writer could work on this and that. Phrasing is also key! Don't try to control someone else's writing, and phrase your feedback in a way that sounds approachable.

The Guest Judge praised how you "used questions to guide the writer." Is this an important part of giving feedback, and why?

I think it certainly is! Questions allow the writer to reflect on their decisions consciously, as writing is a craft: you don’t just put words on a page randomly or because they sound good, you put words that fit. With questions, the feedback becomes less controlling and more approachable because you’re not forcing the writer to change their piece; you’re merely presenting alternatives, which the writer may choose from if they wish, so you, the reviewer, are judging the writer in the right direction and allowing them to explore without being overly critical. 

What is your favorite genre to write or review in?

Definitely poetry or contemporary literary fiction! I've been dabbling in the mystery/thriller genre as well nowadays, because I find it the most enjoyable to read, particularly if it is written in a surreal and absurd style, which I've always tried to capture in my writing. I think it boils down to my views of writing: I believe that literature should show what is real and true, although in my work I also aim to show what is beautiful, and what is more beautiful than relatability? That's why I'm drawn to the genres I've mentioned. As for reviewing, though, I don't think a preference is required. I'll review anything as long as I'm familiar with it and have a grasp of its guidelines, but most of what I focus on in my reviews—things like grammar, paragraphing, sentence structuring, awkward phrasing, tone, flow, technique, imagery, thematic consistency—are universal across genres. In general, people review the kind of content they like, but I've always believed that it's vital not to limit yourself to just one.



Share this post: