Skip to content
Back to Blog

Songwriting Tips from Guest Judge Chadwick Stokes

From his bands Dispatch and State Radio, to his work as a solo artist, Songwriting Guest Judge Chadwick Stokes is committed to using his music as a tool for social change. His nonprofit organization Calling All Crows, founded with his wife Sybil, seeks to connect music fans with feminist movements, raising awareness of women’s issues around the world. “Music can be a gateway into different issues for folks who may not initially gravitate towards protest and activism,” he says. “It can also fuel social movements as a soundtrack to those fighting for their rights.”

Read on to learn more about his music, his activism, and his songwriting tips for young writers!

image

What is it like being a musician, and what’s the difference between making music on your own versus with others? 

Music is always a collaborative effort on some level, whether you’re working solo with an engineer or the whole band is there. I love writing music the most. That feels like a very private experience. But once the song is written as far as I can take it, then the process becomes much more collaborative as we add musicians and instruments.  The solo endeavor can be simpler as there’s less personalities to manage… but nothing beats being on a team when the team is really working well together. 

You’re a human rights activist in addition to being a musician! You’ve founded several nonprofits, including a group called the Elias Fund. You also wrote a song called “Elias.” Who is Elias, and how did he inspire you? What does the Elias Fund do today? 

Elias is a friend of mine and mentor from Zimbabwe. He approaches life with kindness, love and appreciation. The Elias Fund has morphed into many things since it was established in 2007, with causes that have ranged from hunger to mass incarceration.  

Social issues play a prominent role in a lot of your music, too. How does music help advocate for social justice?

Music can be a gateway into different issues for folks who may not initially gravitate towards protest and activism. It can also fuel social movements as a soundtrack to those fighting for their rights.  

Some of your experiences in Zimbabwe inspired songs like “Elias.” Did living in a new place influence your writing and music in other ways besides the subject matter? 

Nothing beats actually being there. Every culture has its own take on music, and we have so much to learn from each other. It’s fascinating to learn how music has been interpreted differently throughout our world.  

What is your favorite song that you’ve ever written and why? 

Rash of Robberies.” It combines a lot of elements I like — punk, rock, folk, some weirdness. The subject matter has to do with my grandparents, and one losing memory of the other after 60 years of marriage. 

What are you looking for in a winning entry? Any tips for our young writers, especially those who are new to writing songs?

I’m looking for a unique approach… Songs don’t have to be formulaic. I’ll be looking for the singer’s own sense of melody — like fingerprints, everyone has their own. And I’ll also be looking for the poetry of the lyrics and the connection between the words and the person singing them. So excited to hear the entries!!

About the Guest Judge: Chadwick Stokes is an accomplished musician and songwriter who grew up on a small farm outside of Boston. A songwriter since early adolescence, his many projects have woven together music, art, history and activism. From Dispatch, which he started in his early 20s; to his politically driven band, State Radio; to his nascent solo project, Chadwick Stokes and the Pintos, Chad has committed himself to using music as a vehicle for social and political change. Along with his wife, Sybil, he founded Calling All Crows, a nonprofit organization dedicated to engaging music fans around women’s issues both at home and abroad. They’ve worked to bring awareness to the worldwide refugee crisis, to the proliferation of violence against women and to the persistence of sexual violence within the music industry. Through his many years of working independently within what can be a difficult industry, Chadwick has been continually motivated by his love of music and the people he makes it with.



Share this post: