Skip to content
Back to Blog

Songwriting Competition 2019 Winners Announced

There are so many ways to write a great song. For R&B singer John Legend, the musical format of the song always dictates the lyrics. While beloved Beatle Sir Paul McCartney, who does not read or write music, approaches songwriting like a crossword puzzle—piecing together melodies, chord shapes, and lyrics, letting the song reveal itself. For our latest competition, the array of songwriting approaches were just as varied; many of you worked diligently on your lyrics while others took their songs straight to the guitar or piano to focus on melodies and arrangements. Today, composer and multi-instrumentalist Hankus Netsky shares which of these songs, in particular, struck a chord—earning the prizes for Best Entry, Runner Up, Best Performance and Best Peer Review.

BEST ENTRY
“Mantua” by kcabansay (United States)

I would nominate “Mantua” as the winner in the “best lyrics” category. Although the song is about Romeo and Juliet, I like that the writer has kept out overt references to the play as this makes it a more universal song about illicit love and longing (although I do like the reference to the “Lark in the morning,"which I believe is Shakespearian). The musical setting also perfectly conveys the tenderness of the lyrics. 

RUNNER UP
"The Flower We Love Unfurls Under The Starlight” by milk (Hong Kong)

I’m nominating “The Flower We Love Unfurls Under The Starlight” as the runner up in the “Best Lyrics” category, since the writer shows great passion about the subject and clearly worked very hard to incorporate phrases associated with the Hong Kong uprising (to the point of creating what one might think of as an “artist’s statement” to accompany the lyrics!). I do think it would be good for the writer to take a closer look at classic protest songs (especially those of Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, and Phil Ochs) to find more subtle ways of making their statement—I would also love to hear a musical setting for these lyrics. 

image

BEST PERFORMANCE
“Mantua” by kcabansay (United States)

I’m also suggesting “Mantua” as the winner in the “Best Performance” category. I was particularly impressed with the texture of the guitar fingerpicking, which conveys the feeling of the lute that might have accompanied the words of Romeo in Shakespeare’s time, a subtle allusion to “Romeo and Juliet.” I also thought the arrangement was well thought out and builds beautifully. The entrance of the keyboard after the first verse is well-timed, as is the addition of harmonies on the chorus. One can really feel the longing that the lyrics convey and the performer has a lovely voice.  

BEST PEER REVIEW
Thelumosduck’s (United States) review of “How did I Get to This?” by Wu.Z

As for the peer reviews, I was particularly impressed with thelumosduck’s review for “How did I Get to This?”. The writer has wonderful insights into the meaning of the song (with its message of despair and then of hope), singles out a truly profound line, and offers perfect words of encouragement. I also very much agree with all of the suggestions for improving the lyrics. 

image

Honorable Mentions

Best Lyrics

  • “Maybe I Know” by liv.luv.act (United States)
  • “Sunshine” by rowangalathynius (New Zealand)

Best Performance

 

  • “Wake Up” by Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill (United States)
  • “Sunshine” by rowangalathynius (New Zealand)
  • “Little One” by Jaclyn Kath (United States)


Share this post: