Skip to content
Back to Blog

Science Writing Competition: What is an Explainer?

There are lots of different kinds of science journalism: news (the latest updates on something happening in the science field), study stories (articles about new scientific studies), features (long, winding narratives about an area of scientific research), and profiles (an article about a scientist or someone contributing to science), to name just a few. And then there’s the explainer, which centers around one of the core activities of science journalism: explaining!

An explainer is a piece of journalism that answers a burning question and describes how something works. Unlike other types of article, they don’t need to be timely or related to the news (though they can be – the Slate explainer about E. coli was inspired by the Olympics).

Check out these examples below to get a sense of what an explainer does. And then write and enter your own explainer for our September Science Writing Competition!

boy-looking-through-microscope

Here’s how kingfishers avoid concussions during high-speed dives (Science News Explores)

Why do strawberries have seeds on the outside? (Live Science)

Why Do I Wake Up Right Before My Alarm? (New York Times)

Will eating insects save the planet? (Al Jazeera)

Here’s why Rapunzel’s hair makes a great rope ladder (Science News Explores)

When did humans start wearing shoes? (Live Science)

What is a Safe Amount of E. Coli for a River? (Slate)

Incognito Mode May Not Work The Way You Think It Does (WIRED)

Why do dogs look like their owners? (Live Science)

Why astronauts experience headaches in space (The Times of India)

Why Shouldn’t You Stick Q-tips in Your Ears? (Slate)

Here’s why ducklings swim in a row behind mom (Science News Explores)

A brief history of the traffic light and why we need a new colour (Al Jazeera)

Why do you feel less hungry when it’s hot out? (Live Science)

 

Check out more explainers at:

Live Science

New York Times

Vox

Slate



Share this post: