Skip to content
Back to Blog

Playwriting Competition Winner: Julia Skirokov

In his commentary for best Playwriting Peer Review, guest judge Kim Peter Kovac called Julia Shirokov’s (Canada) review “analogous to the notes that a director or dramaturg would give to a writer.“ Kim’s instinct that Julia had experience in the theater was correct: receiving notes as an actor helped Julia to envision the play on stage, and give feedback accordingly. 

We talk with Julia about theater and editing, as well as what play she thinks everyone should see! 

image
Are you a fan of plays/theater? How did that inform your review of this piece?

I am in fact a major fan of theatre and take multiple classes in it. My instructors have taught and given me notes about how to act towards an audience, but this was my first time being able to comment on the development of a script. While reviewing Two Teens on a Bench, I continuously thought back to how it could be showcased on stage without anybody else seeing the script. This helped me to imagine myself acting it and figuring out what worked well and what needed some minor improvements for the stage.

How did your previous editing experiences help you write such a sophisticated review?

Funnily enough, this is only the second of two reviews I have ever done on Write the World. I have minimal editing experience, but I don’t think that’s necessary to write a good review. I try to be as helpful and positive as I can while still giving constructive feedback that I would value in order to improve my writing. Though sometimes difficult, I always attempt to put myself in the perspective of the person who wrote the piece because you want to tell people what works but also give enough constructive criticism to make everything the best it can be.

image
How does peer reviewing inform your own writing?

When editing someone else’s work, I am constantly asking questions about my response to the piece. Analyzing why I like certain things more than others helps me to build a personal style and improve upon my own writing. By reading other peoples’ work and taking the time to fully understand it, I often see things I had never thought of before but really enjoy. This can enhance how I go about incorporating new ideas in my own writing.

What’s one play that everyone should see/read?

One play everyone should read is A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. The script vulnerably addresses many important issues that were relevant at the time Williams wrote the piece and still exist today. It’s a classic production because it grips audiences and leaves them amazed, stunned, and reflective upon their own lives and society.



Share this post: