Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet Best Spoken Word Winner Cydney Brown

There probably isn’t a writer in the world who doesn’t harbor fantasies of sitting down at their desk and pouring out a finished, perfect piece in a single go. The reality, of course, is that it is only through drafting, redrafting, and drafting again that a writer finds what Cydney Brown (US), Best Spoken Word winner in our Poetry & Spoken Word Competition, calls “the gold.” “The ‘gold’ is a part of my first draft that I love,” says the former Philadelphia Youth Poet Laureate. “I take the ‘gold’ and start writing the second draft using it. After I have the essence of the poem, I’ll break it into stanzas and move pieces around until it fits just right.” 

Keep reading to learn more about Cydney’s writing and spoken word process, what being the Philadelphia Youth Poet Laureate entails, and her tips for aspiring spoken word artists!

image

What is your process for creating a spoken word piece?

When I’m writing a Spoken Word poem I write down what comes to mind. I like to take the time to write down what I’m feeling without forcing myself to make it rhyme, or even sound poetic. After I get my thoughts down, I then find the “gold” in the poem. The “gold” is a part of my first draft that I love. It could be two words or a whole line that I know will be in the final draft. I take the “gold” and start writing the second draft using it. Throughout the process, I will read it aloud and find the rhythm in the piece. I’ll take out words that sound out of place and add words that make it flow better. After I have the essence of the poem, I’ll break it into stanzas and move pieces around until it fits just right. Finally, I’ll recite my poem to my family and then they will give me helpful feedback.

You are the Philadelphia Youth Poet Laureate! What does this entail? What has been your journey to this appointment?

I’m the 2020-2021 Youth Poet Laureate of Philadelphia, which means I’m the Youth ambassador of poetry for the city of Philadelphia. I became a youth poet laureate by applying during the summer and having an interview with the current and past Poet Laureates of Philly. I write every day whether it’s something that pops into my mind or a commissioned piece I’m writing for a judge, council member, magazine, or events such as Vote that Jawn, Sandy Sprint for Ovarian Cancer, or International Adolescent Health Week. One of my favorite parts is that I can share poetry with others and inspire them. I also really enjoy going into schools and answering questions that students have for me. It’s really important for me to show them that no matter how young you are, your voice matters, and speaking your truth can make a huge difference.

What tips do you have for aspiring spoken word artists?

My advice is to not be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and perform a poem on stage. You never know who needs to hear what you have to say. Throughout my journey as a poet, I’ve always been told to READ, READ, READ, so I definitely recommend that. If you don’t know where to start, I recommend you read my book Daydreaming.

Who are a few of your favorite spoken word artists?

Some of my favorite poets and spoken word artists are Maya Angelou, Jericho Brown, Sonia Sanchez, Robert Frost, and Andrea Gibson. They all inspire me in different ways to expand the boundaries of writing and share my story.

New call-to-action


Share this post: