Skip to content
Back to Blog

Meet Best Peer Review Winner Emma Thomas

As writers, we can be our own worst critics—it’s easy to focus on what needs improving in our drafts, but it’s not so easy to see our work’s strengths. That’s why it’s always so encouraging to receive a peer review that points out the good parts of our writing—it gives us the inspiration we need to get back to the desk and keep going! Book Review Competition Best Peer Review Winner Emma Thomas (US) is a firm believer in “balancing constructive criticism with encouragement.” As Emma says: “the best parts of most written works on Write the World are usually already brilliant. I try to highlight what really worked so that the writer can take inspiration from that and make their piece even better.” 

Learn more about Emma’s approach to peer review, her current writing projects, and her book recommendations! 

image

What is the most important thing for a writer to keep in mind when giving a peer review?

For me, the most important thing to remember when writing a peer review is to balance constructive criticism with encouragement and compliments. I find it rather discouraging to read a review that only points out what I could have done better—the best reviews notice both the things that can be worked on and the things that were done well. Personally, reviews like this help me stay motivated and improve my writing!

Guest Judge Megan Daley wrote that your review “challenge(s) the writer in a positive manner.” How do you ensure that your suggestions leave the writer ready to take their piece to the next level, instead of leaving them discouraged? 

When I write peer reviews, I always try to analyze the piece to find both the best parts and the parts that could use some improvement. They’re always really great drafts, but sometimes they’re just missing something deeper that comes with more editing. So when I review, I hope to emphasize what the writer has done great as a way to support how they could make it better. The best parts of most written works on Write the World are usually already brilliant. By pointing out what they did well, I try to highlight what really worked so that maybe the writer can take inspiration from that and make their piece even better.

image

What is your favorite thing you’ve written in 2021 so far? 

I’m working on a novel that’s going really well so far!

What are three books that you’d recommend? 

My favorite books of the past few years are Scythe by Neal Shusterman and Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano! They’re both fiction stories involving characters forced into situations they never imagined possible, and they’re so beautifully written and heart breaking—I couldn’t put them down.



Share this post: