Skip to content
Back to Blog

How to Write a Powerful Opinion Piece

As writers, the op-ed provides the ideal platform to present something we’re passionate about and persuade others to see our point of view. But, with great power (of the pen, of course), comes great responsibility.

When writing an op-ed, we must  support our argument with research and facts to make a compelling case for our readers. Today, writer, activist and advocate–and this month’s guest judge–Dr. Anita Heiss joins us to share what she’s looking for in a strong Op-Ed Writing Competition entry. She touches on everything from the emotional aspect of writing to the importance of choosing a topic that is socially, culturally and/or economically important. Read on for all of her invaluable advice.

how to write an opinion piece

Much of your work as a writer is informed by your commitment to advocating for and uplifting Aboriginal communities in Australia. Can you tell us more about the intersection of your Aboriginal identity and your life’s work as a writer, activist and advocate?

My purpose as a writer, an educator and a speaker is driven by my identity as a Wiradjuri woman. I write and read through that lens, I see the world through that lens, and I work to ensure that Wiradjuri people and culture are recognized and respected.

All my books—novels, non-fiction, poetry, satire – are driven by the need to ensure that Aboriginal people, particularly Wiradjuri women, have a place in the national narrative. That we exist on the national literary radar as Australians who are part of every aspect of this country’s landscape–socially, politically and culturally.

I rarely need to take time out to think about what I need to write, what I want to write. There are so many gaps in the story of Australia that I am constantly filling voids where Aboriginal voices, perspectives and realities are needed.

I guess some might say I am an activist writer. I call myself a creative disruptor – because I write to disrupt the status quo.

I’m also a Lifetime Ambassador of the Indigenous Literacy Foundation because I believe literacy is directly linked to self-determination. And that literacy is a basic human right that should be afforded to every single child on the planet – in their own language, and in the language that they need to not only survive but thrive in the society in which they live.

For the Op-Ed Competition, students are encouraged to write about a topic that resonates with them, whether that be an issue in their school, or their thoughts on the state of our global community. How do you suggest students narrow down their topic ideas and zero in on something they’re passionate about?

I think emotion is important when writing, because when a reader ‘feels’ something (for example: anger, concern, empathy, guilt), they are more likely to engage, remember and act on an issue. However, your emotion can drive your passion to write, but your words must be tempered with logic and fact. Choose a topic that gets the fire burning in your belly so much that your fingers race across the keys in desperation to tell a story, but make sure your story, your opinion is grounded. Choose a topic where you know you can also be impartial and not blind to all arguments. Be able to acknowledge and challenge your opponents and their arguments. This will be difficult, but it’s necessary.

When writing an op-ed, it’s important to illuminate your stance on an issue, certainly, but equally as important that your opinion is supported by research. What can students do to prepare for writing a well-informed piece?

  • Be across a range of research and ideas around your topic.
  • Know who the experts are in the field you are writing about. Quote them.
  • Acknowledge the work of appropriate and respected organisations in the sector and use them for the ‘facts’ to substantiate your opinion.
  • Do not rely on Wikipedia to be your ‘expert’.

What are you looking for in a strong opinion piece?

  • A good narrative that includes a statistic that will surprise/shock me.
  • A narrative that has strong opinions supported/enhanced by appropriate research and accepted facts on the topic.
  • Information that forces me to think differently.
  • I’m looking for a subject that is socially/culturally and/or economically important.
  • I want to feel comfortable in my reading that the piece has been well researched.
  • A good Op-Ed will motivate me to share the information–so it won’t just be about the voice of the writer, but perhaps the call to action they are impressing on their reader.

What advice do you have for students who are looking for ways to make change in their own communities through writing or otherwise?

Find your own voice first. Marry your voice with the issue you are most passionate about. And then choose the best format for your writing–is it Op-Ed pieces? Is it writing a stage play or a children’s novel or a song? People learn in different ways, so as writers we need to cater for a range of audiences, across geography, gender, cultures, ages and so forth.

Some of my most read and successful works have been in the genre of commercial women’s fiction (some people call it chick lit). I found a way to weave issues important to me – social justice, human rights, identity, history–into works read by mainstream Australian audiences who may never have read a book by an Aboriginal person before.

Find your niche. Find the gap in what is already out there in the literary/journalism landscape and fill that gap.

Talk about your own communities in your writing. Put your community and any issues you want acknowledged on the map. If not you, then who? If not now, then when?

Good luck!


About Dr. Heiss
Dr Anita Heiss is the award-winning author of non-fiction, historical fiction, commercial fiction, children’s novels and two collections of poetry, Token Koori and I’m Not Racist, But…. She is a regular guest at writers’ festivals and travels internationally performing her work and lecturing on Aboriginal literature. She is a Lifetime Ambassador of the Indigenous Literacy Foundation and a proud member of the Wiradjuri nation of central New South Wales. She has recently been appointed a Professor of Communications at the University of Queensland and divides her time between teaching, writing, public speaking and being a creative disruptor. In 2012 she was a finalist in the Australian Human Rights Awards for her memoir Am I Black Enough for You? And she was also a finalist the 2013 Australian of the Year Awards. Her latest book (as editor) is Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia.


This competition is brought to you in collaboration with The Journalism Education Association. Visit their site for more information.

cta-subscribe


Share this post: