Skip to content
Back to Blog

YA Author Rebecca Denton on How to Find Magic in Your Writing

The month of December can bring with it feelings of finality and uncertainty, as well as excitement and hope. As you reflect and plan for the year ahead, we invite all of you to tell us about the month of December in your part of the world; what does it look like in your community and what traditions are you most looking forward to partaking in? To help us gain a deeper understanding of the creative nonfiction genre, we asked YA Author Rebecca Denton to weigh in. In our interview with the musician and novelist, we learn about the benefits of having someone edit your work and how to find, and write about, the magic in the ordinary. 

how to find magic in your writing

Your YA novels, which explore friendship and the London music scene, are based loosely on your own teenage years. Can you tell us a bit about your process for infusing some of your own life into your fiction? 

This Beats Perfect draws on me as a younger teen, held back by my fear of judgment. Amelie is far more talented than I was, though! But as a teenager, all I wanted to do was to be a singer/songwriter but I simply couldn’t get past the fear of not being good enough. I wanted to explore that in a fun way. 

For the My December Competition, our students will pen a piece of creative nonfiction about what the month of December looks like in their part of the world. What tips do you have for a writer who is new to writing about their own life and experiences?

Your story isn’t boring. I think we look at our own lives and surroundings and think ‘this isn’t interesting to anyone, it’s so dull'—but the truth is, the way you live, your weather, your house, what you eat, how you get to school or university, what your friends do for fun—all of that paints a magical backdrop for someone who isn’t where you are. And isn’t you! Find ways to describe your first snowfall that give context to your life. Is it so common that when the winter months draw, the first snowfall feels heavy and oppressive? Or do the tiny flakes landing on the edges of your attic box window fill you with a sense of adventure and wonder? What is the prism with which you view the so-called ordinary? There is your magic.  

image

Writers are encouraged to submit their work for expert review and to publish their drafts to get feedback from the WtW community. Why is it so important to have someone else look at your work?

A good writing partner is everything. It took me a long time to realize how much they could bring to my work. When you are lost in your story, they will find the plot points to guide you out. When your character is misbehaving, they can step in and rope them back into shape when you cannot.

What are you looking for in a winning entry?

Striking prose and original observations. 

What’s the best writing advice you ever received?

Just finish the darn thing. 

Do you have anything in the pipeline that we should keep an eye out for?

My first romantic comedy! The Flight of Birdy Finch—set in Scotland—is coming soon. 

cta-subscribe


Share this post: