Skip to content
Back to Blog

How to Become a Book Reviewer

how to become a book reviewer

Megan Daley shares advice on how to become a book reviewer and write stellar reviews in this interview.

Your love of reading has carried you through many roles throughout your career, from early childhood teacher, to teacher librarian, to children’s book reviewer, to author. At what point did you decide to pursue book reviewing/blogging professionally? What inspired you to commit to sharing your creative insights in this way?

I started blogging and reviewing books on my own website (Children’s Books Daily) nearly nine years ago now. I had been reviewing books for a number of organisations, both online and in print, when a dear family friend suggested that I ‘own’ all my own reviews by collecting them in the one online space. At the time, I didn’t think too much about where this would potentially lead, and I certainly didn’t see my website as anything other than a place to store and share my reviews, but it has become a business and a passion, and I am eternally grateful to Tom for encouraging me to 'just start’. Looking back now at the huge amount of reviews, data, blog posts, and opportunities (including a published book - Raising Readers, UQP, 2019) that have amassed in nine years is overwhelming. But it all started with just a single review…

What do you find most challenging, and most compelling, about the book review genre, and why?

The most challenging thing, for me anyway, is pulling the right words from the recesses of my brain to convey my thoughts and feelings about a particular book. I try so very hard not to fall into the trap of using the same or cliched descriptive phrases over and over again, and sometimes I spend far too long pondering alternate word and phrase choices! I also want to ensure that I truly understand the intent of the author/illustrator, and this requires multiple re-readings, often silently and then aloud (to a child if I can find one). A first reading of a book gives you an overview of the story, the book’s purpose, characters, setting and ideas. The multiple re-readings are where you reveal all the beautiful layers. I really enjoy discovering something new on every subsequent reading of a book, and I hope that the care I take with peeling back the layers comes through in my reviews. 

Write the World is an online community of young writers who enjoy reading and writing. Sometimes, as we grow older, it can feel hard to sustain our love of reading, to find (AKA make) time to keep that love alive. What advice do you have for WtW members who might be experiencing a lull in their love for the written word?

The teen years are such a balancing act between social, sporting, and academic pursuits, not to mention the distraction and lure of social media! My advice is to try and find balance in all things and to make reading one of the things that gets balanced! It can be super hard to calm and focus the mind to read after a stressful day at school or *life*—it often seems easier to scroll, and I am guilty of this myself. At these times, I would encourage young writers to think about being mindful, in the present moment, and to work on focusing the mind for some quiet reading time. Reading time is never, ever wasted time…you will never regret an hour spent reading, but you will (like me!) often regret an hour spent scrolling. Once you are able to settle into reading, you often find your reading flow and lose track of time and worries. 

I would also encourage WtW members to join or start a book club, which is why I wrote and developed my 'build a book club’ e-course. It makes reading a social activity that you can do with friends, or to meet some like minded peers, and it’s a lovely balance of academic, social, and recreational time.

In school, students are often asked to write analytical essays about works of literature, but that genre is quite different from the book review. How would you clarify this difference for young writers hoping to enter our Book Review competition? What advice do you have for newcomers to this genre?

For me, a book review is about finding and sharing the personal impact that a book had on you, which makes it quite different from an analytical essay. How did the book move you? What about the style, setting, characters or themes connected with you? Who or what else might the book connect with? For me, reviews are about matching book to reader. I believe that every book has a reader, and I will never write a wholly negative review of a book, as I do not see the value in this. I may point out a weakness in plot or a flaw in setting, but I see little point but to focus on the strengths. Finally? A book review is *not* a blow by blow description of the story. You will obviously include a short summary of the story (no spoilers!), but the focus is on the connection you formed with the book and who else may enjoy it. 

As we begin 2021 (a New Year at last!), what projects do you have on the horizon? What are you most looking forward to in the coming year?

In 2021, I am so looking forward to sharing my love of book clubbing with people in my 'build a book club’ e-course and getting back to travelling to (probably local!) conferences and reader workshops, book launches and literary happenings. Reading can be a solitary pastime, but I also love the people in the literary and writing industry worldwide, and I’ve missed in-person events in 2020!

cta-subscribe


Share this post: