Skip to content
Back to Blog

Historical Fiction Competition 2020 Winners Announced

From the fields of Ireland to the dust and dirt on a baseball diamond, the excitement of summer in the 1920’s to the Norman conquest, submissions to our Historical Fiction Competition carried readers around the world and across ages, illuminating periods passed while also revealing all that holds true about the human experience across time and space.

Below, Guest Judge and YA and historical fiction author Daven McQueen shares her commentary on winning pieces and peer reviews. Our finalists also offer exemplar works to enjoy. May their words serve as a time machine, inspiring you to travel into history and return to our present world with an awakened appreciation for how our actions impact our future. 

Happy reading!

image

Winner: Midwinter Bright by Eleanor Richardson (United Kingdom)

“Midwinter Bright” is magnetic from the very first line. They did not come in the night, like monsters, Richardson writes, referring to French invaders of the kingdom Deira. What follows is the brief but hearty story of Ida, a young woman living through the Norman conquest of England and coming to terms with the gendered expectations of her future. The author’s writing style is rich with imagery and subtle suspense, establishing a vivid setting and believable characters in just 700 words. The story builds to a gripping end that leaves readers just enough space to entertain a few possible futures for Ida. Richardson has written a compelling snapshot of just a few hours in time that both hints at the larger historical context and allows empathy for the protagonist’s particular circumstances.

Runner Up: The Nightingale by mitch.momo (Canada)

“The Nightingale” is a lovely story about friendship, loss, and growing up set during The Great Depression. It follows an unnamed, energetic protagonist and her childhood friend through adventurous moments of their childhood. The author does a great job of setting the context of the time without straying from the characters’ thoughts and experiences. The dialogue is bright and sincere, the movement of time is gentle but clear, and the image of the nightingale carries well throughout the piece, making way for a thoughtful exploration of grief.

image

Winning Peer Review: A Moon in the Red Sky reviewed by NaiadIna (Australia) 

NaiadIna’s review is an excellent example of compassionate, constructive feedback. They share specific strengths in the piece like the writer’s characterization and context setting, among other highlights. At the same time, they offer concrete suggestions for growth without being prescriptive, sharing what they would have liked to learn more about. This review is especially strong for the questions the reviewer asks of the author to provide several starting points for revision.

Finalists:

Stepping Up to the Plate, wavewriter (US)

An Chúilfhionn, dottybrain (Ireland)

The Bright Young Things, ScarlettLucian (Canada)



Share this post: