Skip to content
Back to Blog

Food Writing Competition 2023 Winners Announced

Writing about food highlights the narratives, memories, and cultural history that can be present in even the simplest of meals we eat. Food stories are a fascinating insight into our everyday lives, from the origins of a dish, to the people who make it, to the way it is consumed.
Read on to discover our Food Writing Competition winners and finalists, along with commentary from Guest Judge Nastasha Alli! Log in or sign up to view the full pieces below.

image

WINNERS

Winner: A Teenagers Guide to Bangali Ranna by Ryann_OverimaginativeFloof (India)

This essay encapsulates the experience of feeling caught between worlds - in realizing that a new phase of life is about to begin, while memories of distant and recent pasts still hold strong and serve as an anchor to everyday choices. Like in choosing what to eat! With each dish in this introduction to Bengali cuisine, the author takes us on a  journey through their family’s lived experiences; sampling bitter sukto at a temple, shaak while elders recall migration stories, dal for days when your soul needs comfort, torkari for contemplative moments, kosha mangsho in celebration of festivals, sweets as a way into experiencing food that is more than sustenance. It’s a tempting invitation to the culinary experiences of a geographically (and deliciously) diverse region, from a teenager longing for home.

Runner-up: Okra and Buttered Noodles by elestes (US)

Memorable narratives stay with you long after the last sentence of an essay, and in this story we learn about how eating fried okra became a yearly tradition for the author. Through richly illustrated scenes that take place at family gatherings, with classmates at school, in the kitchen with mom, and at birthday parties through the years, we discover why this seemingly unpopular vegetable remains an anticipated treat for the author.

Best Peer Review: Homemade Bread and a Mother’s Love, reviewed by Ninja girl (Australia)

This reviewer provided concrete examples of where the narrative could be improved through adding descriptive sensory details (for example, on how that first loaf of sourdough bread may have looked, smelled and tasted). Overall, the feedback is constructive yet conversational! This approach flows into the review, particularly around the suggestions to specify the timeframe of the opening paragraph and rewording a few spots to make them clear. Great work!

PIECE FINALISTS

Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Greens for New Year’s by Rainey Reese (US)

Of Carrots, Tomatoes, and Me by ChloeLing (China)

Sauerkraut with So Many Memories by Madelynne Murray (US)

PEER REVIEW FINALISTS

Homemade Bread and a Mother’s Love, reviewed by empathy (US)

My Mom’s Lemon ‘Tree,’ reviewed by Lia (US)

Thank you to everyone who entered, and congratulations to the winners!



Share this post: