Skip to content
Back to Blog

Flash Fiction Competition Winner: Jayda Brain

A top-notch peer reviewer not only provides helpful feedback on a piece of writing, they also deliver this feedback in a respectful and encouraging way—a skill that, as Flash Fiction Best Peer Review winner Jayda Brain (Australia) points out, comes in handy off the page too: “The communication skills necessary for reviewing can be applied to any situation where you’re working in a team. I got a job this year at a quick-service restaurant, and delivering feedback respectfully is essential to keep things running smoothly and maintaining relationships.” 

We talk to Jayda about working through peer reviewing challenges, her book recommendations, and more!

image

Guest Judge Janelle Milanes praised your review for striking “an ideal balance between encouragement and analysis.” What tips do you have for other reviewers seeking to achieve this balance?

Writers put themselves in a vulnerable position when they publish their work online, so as a reviewer, I think it’s important to be honest and constructive, whilst also being encouraging enough that the author feels motivated to continue uploading their work. I tried to write a review that I would’ve liked to have received, such as one with specific suggestions for improvement and praise for the overall potential of a piece. 

Because I had chosen to carefully review only a handful of entries, I had more time and space that allowed me to really understand what the author was trying to achieve and what message they wanted to convey. I would recommend this approach for other reviewers who would like the author to find their feedback to be more insightful and balanced.

What is the most challenging part of peer reviewing for you, and how do you work through it?

I was really nervous to write my first review on Write the World because I didn’t feel qualified enough. Even once I submitted my review, I thought I’d been too harsh and I actually tried to delete it!

I think I had to remember that ultimately, the author and I had the same goal, which was to allow them to create the best piece of flash fiction they could. If I was encouraging enough in the way I presented my opinions, then I couldn’t do much harm. 

How do you think writers can apply these skills they gain through peer reviewing outside of the field of writing?

I think the communication skills necessary for reviewing can be applied to any situation where you’re working in a team. I got a job this year at a quick-service restaurant, and delivering feedback respectfully is essential to keep things running smoothly and maintaining relationships.

I haven’t been reviewing for long, but I can already see the experience bleeding into other areas of my life. I would recommend everybody try it!

What’s something that has inspired your writing lately?

Right now I’m really excited to be preparing for the next Write the World competition: Film/TV Review. I’m thinking about entering an analysis of Jojo Rabbit, because I’ve read many insightful critical reviews of the film that have inspired me.

Recently, I’ve also enjoyed American Dirt and I’m trying to make it through Pride and Prejudice.



Share this post: