Skip to content
Back to Blog

Flash Fiction Competition 2024 Winners Announced!

Hailing from Bangladesh to Japan to Germany, teen writers across the world wowed Guest Judge Jennifer Lewy with their tiny tales. Read the winners and finalists of our Flash Fiction Competition below!

Please note: Winning and finalist pieces on the site are now publicly viewable!

two-girls-smiling-and-blowing-bubbles

WINNER:

At The End of Time by Faizah Tahsin (Bangladesh)

This piece stands out for its emotional depth, skillful use of sensory details, and poignant exploration of memory and loss. The author effectively weaves together past and present, creating a rich backstory of experiences centered around everyday objects and locations. The strength of this piece lies in its ability to transform mundane items into powerful emotional triggers. The crates of produce, glitter gel pens, and detergent aisle become portals to cherished memories, each evoking a different facet of the narrator's relationship with their mother. This technique demonstrates a keen understanding of how our senses can connect us to our past and loved ones. The final interaction with the mother adds a powerful, bittersweet twist that lingers with the reader. 

This piece demonstrates a mature understanding of complex emotions and a sophisticated approach to storytelling. The writing shows a deep empathy and understanding of human experiences. The way the author captured the essence of grief and memory in this piece is both beautiful and haunting. The structure of the piece, moving from one memory to another, mimics the way our minds often work when processing grief, jumping between different moments and associations. This creates a sense of authenticity and emotional resonance that draws the reader in. 

Continue to trust your instincts in exploring these complex emotions through your writing. Your ability to find profound meaning in everyday moments is a rare gift – keep nurturing it and sharing your unique perspective with the world. 

RUNNER-UP:

Another Fire by peppermint_tea (United States)

This piece evokes vivid imagery and emotional impact in a compact yet complete story. The author effectively captures the tension and fear of a family facing a natural disaster, deftly using present tense and repetition to create a sense of urgency. The final wish adds a layer of emotional complexity that elevates the piece beyond a simple disaster narrative. The author's use of sensory details, like the smoke suffocating the stars, creates a vivid and oppressive atmosphere that enhances the overall mood of the piece. The transition from the hospital parking lot to the house itself is swift and effective, mirroring the urgency of the situation. The author demonstrates a mature understanding of how to use concrete details to evoke abstract emotions, and how to balance external action with internal reflection.

It's truly impressive how the author wove the imagery, family dynamics, and emotional undercurrents into such a compact narrative. Keep nurturing your gift for creating powerful, evocative scenes and exploring complex emotions in your writing. 

BEST PEER REVIEW:

‘The Wax Statues’ reviewed by thespycrow (Singapore)

This peer review stands out for its detailed, sensitive, and constructive feedback. This reviewer demonstrates a thorough understanding of the story through close reading and analysis, consistently referencing specific elements of the text to support their observations. They skillfully balance praise for the story's strengths with gentle suggestions for improvement, maintaining an encouraging and supportive tone throughout.

The reviewer's approach is particularly noteworthy for its depth, offering insights into various aspects of the writing, from the opening line to the final twist. They consider the author's intentions, respecting creative choices while providing actionable suggestions for enhancement. The significant time investment in the analysis (two hours!) reflects a genuine commitment to providing thoughtful feedback.

Moreover, the reviewer's personal response – being inspired to create a new story based on the concept – serves as a powerful compliment to the author. This combination of detailed analysis, supportive tone, actionable suggestions, and personal engagement makes this peer review particularly valuable for a writer's development. It provides the kind of comprehensive, encouraging feedback that can nurture emerging talent and inspire continued growth in their craft.

PIECE FINALISTS:

The Colors of Summer by M.S. (Japan)

Your story beautifully captures the lingering impact of past relationships through vivid symbolism. The lemon tree as a representation of a sour summer is particularly striking. Your use of color imagery creates a rich sensory experience that draws the reader in. Consider exploring the connection between the lockets further – this intriguing detail leaves the reader wanting more. Keep developing your talent for symbolic writing and creating evocative scenes!

Lockpicking by Renie (United States)

Your exploration of cultural identity and family relationships is beautifully crafted. The mix of languages adds depth to the narrative, and the sensory details are vivid and evocative. As you write more, you might consider incorporating even more sensory information to further immerse the reader in the worlds your characters inhabit, enhancing the emotional impact of your narratives. Your ability to create emotionally complex scenes with minimal words is a true strength – keep nurturing this talent! 

Match in Heaven by Hyungrim (South Korea)

Your allegorical tale using matchsticks as characters is both creative and emotionally powerful. The mother's sacrifice creates a lasting impact, and you've managed to tell a complete story in very few words. The title is especially fitting. As you write more, think about ways to expand on the emotions of your characters. Your ability to create symbolic narratives with strong emotional resonance is a special gift – keep exploring this style of storytelling!

Siblings by M.R. Gorey (United States)

Your piece on grief and family dynamics shows a deep understanding of complex emotions. The sparse, staccato dialogue reveals so much about the characters and their relationships. Your attention to physical sensations, like the awareness of heartbeat, adds a visceral element to the grief portrayed. As you develop your writing, consider exploring the subtle differences between different characters' reactions to further enrich the dynamics of your stories. Your skill in conveying rich emotions with minimal words is impressive.

Video Games by Aria van Darque (Germany)

Your clever exploration of lifelong video game addiction is both humorous and thought-provoking. The rapid progression through life stages effectively conveys the passage of time, and the irony between the protagonist's desire to play and life's interruptions is well-executed. Your ending packs a punch! As you continue writing, think about ways to deepen the protagonist's character beyond their gaming obsession. Your ability to blend humor with deeper themes is a great strength to nurture.

THE ABYSS HAS ALWAYS BEEN STARING by Junainah Rahman (India)

Your science fiction piece offers a fresh perspective on humanity's search for extraterrestrial life. The concept of silence as an "olive branch" is both original and thought-provoking. You build tension effectively, leading to a chilling conclusion. As you continue writing, consider exploring humanity's emotional reactions to such a message. Your talent for exploring big ideas in a compact format is impressive – keep nurturing this skill!

magsaing ka na” | cooking rice by aea! (Philippines)

Your story effectively explores cultural expectations and family dynamics through a simple, everyday interaction. The dialogue reveals much about the characters' relationship, and the unspoken feelings of the narrator are palpable. As you continue writing, consider delving deeper into the narrator's internal thoughts and feelings. Your talent for using ordinary moments to explore deeper themes is impressive – continue to develop this skill!

Crumbling by Bravo (New Zealand)

Your metaphorical exploration of aging and loss through the imagery of a cracking house is deeply moving. The repetition of "cracks" creates a strong thematic thread, and the contrast between past and present adds emotional depth. As you develop your writing, consider incorporating more specific memories and details to further enhance the emotional impact. Your skill with symbolism and ability to convey complex emotions through metaphor is remarkable – continue to hone this talent!

Flawed World by Natalie T (United States)

Your surrealist piece creates a strong sense of unease and wrongness that's truly captivating. The unusual details, like "fried ice" and sitting on a table, contribute to a memorably bizarre atmosphere. Your use of dialogue adds tension and reveals the strained relationship between the characters. As you continue to explore surrealism, consider ways to provide subtle hints about why the narrator feels something is wrong. Your ability to craft an unsettling atmosphere is a unique strength – keep developing it!

PEER REVIEW FINALISTS:

‘Forgotten’ reviewed by Sienna :) (Australia)

‘Anxiety: A New Type of Monster’ reviewed by Megan <3 (Canada)


Share this post: